Impendance Switch

H

Hoggers

Hello.

A quick question regarding the impendance switch on the back of the AVR300.

I was wondering if anyone can confirm that the switch is set as follows on the back of their amp:

UP = 8ohm
DOWN = 4ohm

The reason I ask is that according to the manual the impendance switch on the back should be set the other way round (ie: 8ohm down and 4ohm up).

I have been running 8ohm speakers with the switch set to 4ohm (this was how the amp came from the shop so I am guessing that this is the default setting).

Is likely to cause any problems or damage to the speakers? I am guessing not as the speakers sound ok.

Anyway, if anyone can shed any light on this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Alastair

galewis1

Depicition on the back of the receiver is correct. Manual is wrong if I remember correctly.

proux

Novice Member
Hey, well spotted! :clap:

So much for my faith in the manual...:rolleyes:

H

Hoggers

Thanks for that...thought I was going crazy ;)

Is there a negative effect running 8ohm speakers with the amp set to 4ohm? and would there be an improvemnt in sound with havng the amp set at the correct impendance?

I could probably answer this myself but I have just dismantled the set up in preparation for a move so am unable to test and will be a while before I can as the gear is shipped off to Australia next weekend :D

Cheers,

Alastair

proux

Novice Member
I remember seeing a post by Arcam (John Dawson or Andy Dutton) suggesting using the 4 ohm switch for anything other than "true" 8 ohm speakers, and something about preventing overheating and possibly enhancing long term life this way. Have a search for it.

proux

Novice Member
Couldn't agree more, have said before was one of main reasons for going for them :smashin: