Question Impedence ratings.....

themediaman

Hi,

I have just bought an AV amp and speaker bundle from Richer Sounds, which I cant wait to get my hands on.

However, when I was in store I asked to see the speakers, on the back it stated the speakers were 4 ohm.

The speakers are the Wharfedale DX2 5.1.

The amp that came with the speakers, the Denon AVRX550BT, states that its speaker impedance is 6 - 16 ohm.

Now, surely the well respected shop Richer Sounds wouldn't pair up and amp and speakers that wouldn't work.

I suspect they will work, but that I cant turn it up too loud, ever.

Can someone explain what the above pairing means to a rookie like myself.....?

Will either the amp and/or speakers have a shorter life span with their stated specification?

Thanks in advance....

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
It will work, but as you say just don't run at very loud volumes - at least not over long periods as the Denon could overheat and the safety shutdown will kick-in (assuming this model has that feature).

themediaman

I hope there is some kind of protection.

Its strange the Denon receiver doesn't include 4 ohms in its specs.....

Can anyone find written specs of the dx2 speakers?

dollag

Personally, I'd take them back. They are not very efficient speakers @84db and @4ohm, gonna take some power to drive them. Do not get me wrong the avr will drive them no problem but at higher volumes will strain and go into clipping.

Look at this

2 sets of these
Q Acoustics Speakers Per Pair

1 of these
Q Acoustics Single Centre Speaker

1 of these
BK Gemini II Subwoofer in Black 5060403220004 | eBay

Now I know I am spending £100 more of your hard earned cash but imo the Wharfdale set is not fit for purpose, nor is it very good. The sub is probably the weak point with little power to really get going. The Q's are a great speaker and imo are the punching abover their price point sq wise.

The Q acoustics are rated 6ohms with a higher db than the dx2'sso will be less taxing on the amplifier, in addition the bk sub has over double the power of the dx2 and will be much better quality.

EDIT: if your open to second hand I have seen gemini's on ebay and the classifieds for less than £130, alternatively the bigger brother XLS200 can be had for circa £200 s/h and is a great sub indeed. What size room is this system going in?

gibbsy

Does seem strange to match that particular Denon with the Wharfedales. However I think all Denons will safely drive 4 ohm speakers but they do not print it in any specification list.

dollag

Does seem strange to match that particular Denon with the Wharfedales. However I think all Denons will safely drive 4 ohm speakers but they do not print it in any specification list.
I agree there shouldn't a big issue in all fairness; however depending on the size of the room and your listening habits, you may put a strain on the avr at higher levels. even higher end avr's with fairly sensitive speakers can start running out of steam at higher volumes.

themediaman

I would class my room as small, so about 6m by 8m....

use would be the odd film at the weekend, which would be full multi channel HD audio, the rest of the time TV viewing.....so I wont be expecting to turn up the volume loud....

it will be in my hands tomorrow evening....so I think I will give them a go....

I will be speaking to the store though with regards return periods etc....

themediaman

If the AVR setting allows for an impedance to be selected, could 6 be selected without speaker issues being experienced...

dollag

If the AVR setting allows for an impedance to be selected, could 6 be selected without speaker issues being experienced...
Yes you will be fine

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
I would class my room as small, so about 6m by 8m....
I wouldn't class 6m x 8m as small, it's a pretty decent sized room.

The advice I have been given is to leave the AVR at it's default setting (if it can be changed), as the option to change impedance is intended for the US market, where it's a requirement apparently.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
It might be limiting power output in that setting similar as most receivers do if you select the 4ohm setting. Audioholics always recommends using the 8ohm setting and plenty of ventilation, so don`t put the receiver inside some tight cabinet where it can heat more.

"In fact, when I've tried the low impedance mode, I noted significantly more audible distortion as the amplifiers prematurely entered voltage clipping due to the power limiting. "

"The low impedance setting may severely power limit your system which can degrade sound quality and potentially damage your speakers."

"These switches step down voltage feed to the power sections which can limit dynamics and overall fidelity. My advice is to keep the switch set to "Minimum 8 ohms" regardless of the impedance of your speakers and ensure proper ventilation of the Receiver."

gibbsy

6x8m is a pretty substantial room. Your combination is perhaps not the best given the circumstances.

Liammonty123

Having owned the Wharfedale set mentioned I would steer clear. The speakers are likely to distort before you get close to clipping the amp (IME) and the sub is to put it lightly naff. The Q acoustics set is a much better option as mentioned in post 4. They have a higher sensitivity, are 8ohms nominal and have higher power ratings, an all round better option. Although given your space I'd be tempted to look at even larger speakers or at least a larger sub, maybe a monolith or one of the XTZ, SVS offerings!

nheather

Suspended
I bought this speaker set in white, primarily for the aesthetics.

I too was disappointed to find that they 4 ohm and shocked to find that my mid-range Yamaha AVR does not have a 4 ohm setting. If Denon and Yamaha don’t not sure what kit these speakers are intended for.

I went ahead a connected them anyway and possibly because I don’t drive them loud and hard I’ve not had any problems.

But with hindsight I wish I’d gone for something else because impedance mismatch aside they don’t sound that good. So in my opinion, apart from the looks they are a poor speaker set.

Cheers,

Nigel

themediaman

I am hoping that my limited experience and lower standards will help me see past these things.....

reviews of the speakers are good out there, when weighed up against the cost of them, which is cheap compared to others...

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I am hoping that my limited experience and lower standards will help me see past these things.....

reviews of the speakers are good out there, when weighed up against the cost of them, which is cheap compared to others...
I have no idea why they partner that receiver with those speakers, the list price is 279£. And X2400H cost 299£. :( That receiver is MUCH better in every way than the X550BT. Personally i would return that receiver and pay the 21£ extra to get the X2400H. Call the shop manager and say you are not satisfied, they usually let people swap things!

MarcoDB

themediaman

I have no idea why they partner that receiver with those speakers, the list price is 279£. And X2400H cost 299£. :( That receiver is MUCH better in every way than the X550BT. Personally i would return that receiver and pay the 21£ extra to get the X2400H. Call the shop manager and say you are not satisfied, they usually let people swap things!
Just went in and mentioned my issues, also backed up with an email from Denon themselves, stating that those speakers were not ideal for the x550, so I have basically walked away with the speakers, as I really do like the look of them, but came away with the x2400H......

An extra 49 quid with a 6 year warranty on the amp and I am finally happy, I think....lol.....

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Just went in and mentioned my issues, also backed up with an email from Denon themselves, stating that those speakers were not ideal for the x550, so I have basically walked away with the speakers, as I really do like the look of them, but came away with the x2400H......

An extra 49 quid with a 6 year warranty on the amp and I am finally happy, I think....lol.....
Great news! :thumbsup:

themediaman

Its all set up and after a wee bit of tinkering is sounding great.......

Still to do a final calibration and may use the supplied microphone that comes with it.....

my main focus was ensuring that the full, untouched audio, was being sent from the source to the amp..

MLAM

I'm looking at this set tomorrow

How are you finding yours now?

themediaman

I am loving it to be honest, great sound and good bass......

I finally configured it all with microphone and I don't know if it has helped much to be fair, but any tweaks can be done manually....

are you getting the amp and speakers @MLAM

MLAM

Thanks for your reply

I popped into my Richer Sounds today and tried out the DX2 and the Q acoustics 3000 set wired up to a Denon X2500.

Ultimately decided to spend the extra on the Q acoustics as I felt the bass was better and the centre speaker was far better than the DX2 along with more pronounced sound effects.

I picked up the last X2400 and just before me another chap bought one too.

Not done too much setting up yet as I'm awaiting the centre speaker and the rears to be delivered but as a 2.1 system it sounds good so far

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom