1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impedance setting

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ric_hall, Nov 12, 2002.

1. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Related to other posts, I am likely to purchase the Yamaha RXV396RDS along with a pair of Mission M72 speakers .

The speakers are rated:
    Sensitivity SPL/m/2.83V 89dB
    Nominal Impedance 8 Ohm compatible (min. 4.0 Ohms)
    Amplifier Power 25 - 100W/Ch

The receiver is rated:
    Minimum RMS Output Power 60W @ 8 Ohms

The problems lies with the impedance selection . The Yamaha receiver allows the user to select between two impedance settings .
    The two settings are as follows(only listed for the main speakers):

If you use one pair of main
    speakers, the impedance of
    each speaker must be 4 W or
    higher.
    If you use two pairs of main
    each speaker must be 8 W or
    higher.

If you use one pair of main
    each speaker must be 8 W or
    higher.
    If you use two pairs of main
    each speaker must be 16 W or
    higher.

I will only be connecting one pair of speakers to the receiver .
    Based on the above information, which impedance setting should I choose if I want the least damage to occur to both the speakers and the receiver(i.e. which setting gives the greater component longevity)?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That would be the 4 Ohm setting as it halves the current of the power amp stage.

However, based on the specs provided (and that's include the sensitivity), I see no problem to use the 8 Ohm setting - especially not since you connect only one pair.

3. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of curiosity, do the impedance values(requirements) change for a single pair of bi-wire capable speakers if you were to connect a bi-wire speaker cable to both the A and B front speaker terminals? - [the 396 has two sets of terminals for connecting two pairs of speakers at the same time to the one receiver]

Linked to this, in the 396 manual(pdf - online) mentions that you can set the receiver to select speaker pair A, speaker pair B, or both A and B for purposes of output . Would I be correct in saying that selection A + B would work perfectly well for the purpose of bi-wiring a pair of speakers, or have I misunderstood the meaning in the manual?

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The B terminal is intended for a 2nd pair of speakers in another room. However there is no problem in using it for the purpose of bi-wiring as the impedance of the LS (and thus the load to the amp) will not change.

Just select speaker A and B then and off you go .... :)