1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

impedance setting?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CVEKE, Aug 29, 2005.

1. CVEKE

CVEKE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I've found some info on this subject, I'd still want to ask this question:

My receiver is Yamaha RX-V440RDS (rated 6x65W @ 8 Ohm/6x110W @ 4 Ohm, 270W power consumption).

The speakers are Yamaha NS-P106 package (Sats/Centre: 30W nominal/100W max, 6 Ohm, Active sub 50W nominal /100W max)

The receiver has a speaker impedance setting switch (4 Ohm min. for the main, 6 Ohm min. for the others in one position and 8 Ohm min. for all in the other position). In theory, I know that the correct setting for my setup is 4 Ohm. I also know that changing the position should not alter the sound in normal conditions.

The thing is that changing the switch to 8 ohm increases the dynamic range of the sound (it can certainly be felt, the sounds become better defined and the bass is rock hard an still deep) while the 4 Ohm setting produces a silky soft sound, which is not bad, but lacks definition and dynamic (at least that's how it seems). The problem is that I'm not sure what sound I like better.

There is slightly higher heat dissipation when the switch is to 8 Ohm. In 4 Ohm the receiver hardly heats at all.

Finally the question is: Will leaving the switch to 8 Ohm position harm the receiver in some way on a long term?

I would appreciate opinions on this subject. Also on the sound difference thing.

Thx.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's unlikely. Most amps have thermal shutdowns. The impedance of a speaker is measured at a single frequency - its impedance can vary a lot at other frequencies, and manufacturers allow for this.