1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impedance Setting and Sixth Speaker Setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rozel, Jun 16, 2003.

1. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a Sony STR-DB1080 Receiver and following advice from this forum I have, I think, correctly setup my speakers and equalized my subwoofer (a Yamaha YST-SW320) with a Feedback Destroyer Pro. However I have only been using a 5.1 setup so far with regard to my speaker arrangement, matrixing the rears as it says in the manual. I have now sourced a pair of speakers which I think would be good for the "Sixth channel" but when I looked at their impedence, they are quoted at six ohms. This got me thinking and checking. I had thought all my speakers in the present arrangement were 8 ohms but further investigation revealed that whilst my fronts and rears were indeed 8 ohms the centre is 6 ohms and my sub, I think, is 5 ohms or at least it's power output is quoted as 5 ohms. Up to present I had set the switch to 8 ohms but the Sony's manual says set it to 4 ohms, if only one speaker in the chain is less than 8 ohms. What do people on this forum recommend and is any damage done if it is on the wrong setting? Since switching to the 4 ohm setting I have noted that the overall ambience seems improved and louder but I note that the manual quotes lower output power figures at this setting - what does this mean?

Also what is the best way of wiring my new pair of speakers for the "sixth channel" - I know how to wire up one speaker but how do I wire up a pair?

Answers to these questions are eagerly awaited

Cheers PAUL

2. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is there nobody out there who can help me please??

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    You could try wiring the new speakers up in series to the one output ... but you shouldn't wire them in parallel as you'll be presenting a 3ohm load to the amp. Wired in series they will present a 12ohm load to the amp.

Don't worry about the impedance of your sub ... connected to the LFE channel you're not putting any load onm your amp.

Vikki

4. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 X 4OHM SERIES = 8OHM
    2 X 4OHM PARALLEL = 2OHM:rolleyes:

5. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers - but does my Centre Speaker, quoted at 6 Ohms mean I should set my amp to the 4 or 8 ohm setting?

Also - yes I am no good with "terms" - left school a long time ago lol - could you explain the difference between "in series" and "in parallel" just so as I do not wire up incorrectly.

Cheers

PAUL

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    In parallel ... connect red and back from amp to first speaker, then red and black on first speaker to second speakers.

In series ... connect red from amp to red on first speaker, black on first speaker to red on second speaker, then black on second speaker back to black on the amp.

For an 6ohm centre, probably set to 4 ohm.

Vikki

7. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Brilliant - thanks I'm very grateful

Paul