1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impedance questions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by iwatkins, Nov 6, 2002.

1. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a receiver that the majority of the speaker outputs are labelled 8-16 ohms. The speakers that I use at the moment are 8 ohms.

However, I'm looking at some new speakers of which the technical spec. says they are 4-8ohms. Now I would have thought they were either 4 or they are 8 ohms.

Anyway, supposing they were actually 4 ohms, what would the effect be off wiring these up to a receiver that is labelled 8-16ohms ?

I've always been told, and the manuals always say the same thing. DON'T DO IT, YOU WILL DAMAGE YOUR EQUIPMENT !!!

However, what is the actual effect ?

And if a speaker maker says 4 - 8 ohms, would you consider that safe to use on a receiver that says 8 - 16 ohms ?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    However, I'm looking at some new speakers of which the technical spec. says they are 4-8ohms. Now I would have thought they were either 4 or they are 8 ohms.

That's correct, there is no such thing as e.g. 4-8 or 8-16 Ohm. It's either 4 Ohm, 6.5 Ohm or whatever Ohm, else you need to specify the correct range based on a measurement.

The DC resistance is a constant (which is the figure usually stated), but the actual impedance varies over the entire frequency band.
    E.g. the Dynaudio Contour 1.3MkII speaker is considered a 4 Ohm speaker, but the actual impedance goes from 3.5 - 14.1 Ohm (manufacturer's ratings).

A speaker labelled as 4-8 Ohms will usually be a 4 Ohm speaker, and IMHO there are hardly any true 8 Ohm speakers on the market.

An Amp rated 8-16 Ohm means the manufacturer recommends the use of speakers rated 8 Ohms or higher. But try finding a 16 Ohm speaker though - unless we talk mini-/midi-systems. ;)

Anyhow, in praxis it means a 4 Ohm speaker is harder to drive and represenst a higher load to the amp as the impedance can drop, even below 1 Ohm - depending on the type / modell.
    A real 8 Ohm speaker will usually not drop that low and thus is easier to drive.
    Note that also the sensitivity of the speaker defines how hard or easy a speaker is to drive, the higher the value (stated in dB) the better.

As to your question if you can connect a 4 Ohm speaker at an amp rated from 8-16 Ohm:
    Yes. It's not recommended (manufacturer playing safe) but if you keep the volume withing normal levels I won't see a problem.
    Naturally the amp will struggle if you try to have a party or run a disco on the weekend.