1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impedance mismatch…

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by GuitarCry, Aug 21, 2004.

1. GuitarCry

GuitarCry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon UD-M 31 mini HiFi system (Power Output ->22 W + 22 W (6 ohms); Power Supply -> 230 V 50 Hz).
    Panasonic SB-59 speakers (50 W rms, 70 W spike, (4 ohms)).

I’d like to upgrade my crappie micro room system. Been looking around some stores and found this really nice sounding Denon UD-M 31 mini HiFi system. Since its price is my entire budget, the money for the speakers won’t come around for a while: 3, 5 years.
    The thing is I’ve got these old stereo Panasonic speakers. Regarding that it is to be used in a small room at a fairly low volume, will this speakers stress out the amplifier because of it’s low impedance?
    If so,…, can I somehow reduce this stress? Maybe increasing the impedance using small cables?

2. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers designed for it are rated at 6 ohms, so I doubt that 4 ohms would cause any problems, and speaker impedance is not a simple one-figure matter anyway. Impedance always varies over a wide range thru the freq spectrum, so are we talking minimum, average, or an estimate? I'd try it and see, low vol at first, but I'd be amazed if there was a prob.

BTW I have the earlier UD-M30 and it's a wonderful little unit (mine drives KEF Codas). :)