Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

impedance matching in wall speaker switches ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gingerneil, Jul 18, 2005.

1. gingerneil

gingerneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. This is my first post here. I have searched and googled, but got nothing of great use. Sorry if I've missed the answers....

I am moving to a new house and want to wire a set of speakers into the kitchen. I will be splitting the front L&R from my AV amp via an in-wall switch (prob QED one that allows A,B,A+B). I would also like an independant in wall volume control on the wiring that goes into the kitchen. I'll be terminating in the kitchen using in-wall banana sockets.

Whats the best way to do this ? My amp needs 8ohms minimum, so I was thinking of using a serial switch (QED WM17), but then what volume control should I use ?? Would I be better with a switch that presents a consistent 8ohm to the amp no-matter what is connected so that I can use a standard volume control ?? If so, where would I find such an in-wall switch ?? I'm getting nowhere with google... the only impedance matching switches I can find seem to be big chunky things...

Any help and advice much appreciated...