Impedance - matching Amps with Speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by converse, Dec 3, 2004.

1. converse

converse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should you always match a 6 ohm Amp with 6 ohm speakers, or isn't this an issue?

(Looking at the TEAC Reference 300 Mkii, the amp is listed as 6 Ohm (at 45+45W), and some speakers I've reviewing have an impedance of 6 ohms, others 8 ohm...

Do I need to worry or not?!

2. isko

isko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amps are defined as min ohm from resistance point of view. In case of TEAC 6 ohm is min. quantitiy that will be accepted by this device. So you can connect any pairs of speakers which is 6 ohm or above 6 ohm (8 ohm, 16 ohm etc.) but not a pair of speakers which is 4 ohm. Wrong connections can cause damage to your amp in the long run.

3. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    If the Teacs min impedance is 6 ohm then you should be ok with 6 ohm speakers. It will just mean the amp is working as hard as it can, so it will get as hot as it will allow. The lower the speakers impedance, the harder the amp has to work to drive them. If they have a high sensitivity it helps though.........

4. converse

converse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh, great info! So for the 6 ohm amp, I'd be better off with speakers with an 8 ohm impedance rather than 6 then to prevent the amp from working overtime?

5. igbert

igbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry this is a bump i was just wondering whether he was correct in his statement, i am also looking to buy a denon (DENON DM35DAB) and would like to match it up to a pair of mission m71. the amp is rated at 6 ohms and the speakers at 8 ohms, i'm not too sure about the impedance issues!

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Unless your using some esoteric (electrostatics, valves etc) equipment I would really not worry about it.

7. igbert

igbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you for the reply, just thought i would check these things, dont want to waste my precious money

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Impedance varies with frequency and is only quoted at one, so a couple of ohms difference really won't hurt.