1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impedance, 4 or 8??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Timbersnake1, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Timbersnake1

Timbersnake1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a 5.1 dolby digital 6 channel system which i use with my PC. Its around 900watts pmpo.

It has an active subwoofer that powers the rest of the system. The bass driver is a small 5.25inch midrange. It makes alot of bass though, so this must be down to the amp, or a crossover or something. Thing is, the driver has now blown, and I dont want to replace it with a generic one again. If you are going to push so much power through a 5inch, it has to be strong.

My manual says the impedance is 4ohms, but the blown driver says it is an 8ohm driver. What is the difference and did this cause the problem? I have been offered a nice pair of danish Peerless 5inch cones for a very good price and would like to install one of them, but they are only 4ohms each?

Should I buy an 8 ohms driver, or go with the 4 ohms?

Cheers guys, Timbersnakes

2. Timbersnake1

Timbersnake1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided against the 4ohm peerless drivers as i think they wil put too much pressure on the amp, which could do in the whole system.

As I am not a brand name 'look how much money i have got and spent' type of person, i did not actually mention the brand of set-up i have, and i wont as i do not see why this should be an incentive for people to respond with assistance.

However, does anyone know where to get hold of 5inch drivers, of any type and description, from budget, second hand righ up to the high-ended stuff?

Now you can all shout about the brands all you want at me!!!!!

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Try electronic stores like www.conrad.com as they often have a wide range of drivers for DIY.

PS: PMPO is the most meaningless and missleading power figure quote one can make.

4. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Nost amps will tell you what impedence they go down to. A 4 ohm load is harder to drive than an 8 ohm.

Always look for RMS figures and THD (Total Harmonic Distortion). If the figures say 90 watts RMS at 8 ohms at 10% THD then in real terms you will have much less clean power than this.