Quantcast

Impartial advice or reviews?

Miss Mandy

Basically the situation is that I'm looking to purchase a new car within the next few months and I'm looking to spend a couple of grand. I know that's pocket change to some people, but its the most I've ever invested in anything so I want to take my time to do my research and buy the car that's right for me.
What I'm wondering is what websites are there that I can use to aid my search and decision?
I'm looking for somewhere that will give me mostly impartial and honest information and opinions, so that I can get a idea of what to look out for on certain cars I'm interested before I get hit with the sales patter.

rongood

You should try and make a short list of cars you like and then do a search for reviews such as THIS and THIS + THIS

Also factor in age - experience - running costs etc.

In that price bracket (or any really) write this on the back of your hand BUYER BEWARE take someone who is knowledgeable with cars.

ATB

Ron

Last edited:

Desmo

Once you've narrowed it down to a few makes or models, I'd also look on dedicated forums for those cars and after a little reading you should be able to pick up on some of the common problems you may encounter.

Miss Mandy

Thanks people. :)

qwerty321

Also, when you have some cars in mind, post the list on here. A fair amount of knowledge and experience with different cars from the members here.

shodan

Distinguished Member
I use Parkers then Honest John (check out users reviews as well as the pro reviews) then trawl the web searching for posts about the motors.

Most manufacturers and even specific models have forums dedicated to them ie civinfo is the one I use as I recently bought a Honda Civic.

shodan

Distinguished Member
paulyoung666 said:
How about letting us have an idea of what you need in a car ...
Bunch of seats and a steering wheel?

Sorry, I'll got me coat..

SeanT

Seen some awesome cars for your budget recently, even an 03 BMW 530d (with starship mileage, but it sold quick). We really need to know a bit more about what sort of car you're looking for. I take it there's an existing car to get rid of?

Miss Mandy

Thanks again guys.
I'm looking for something to replace my 1996 Fiesta although as its not worth much I am probably going to be giving this to my cousin to learn in. Don't need to worry about trading it in or anything like that.

I'm after something slightly bigger though so that I can fold the seats down to fit a dog cage in the boot. I'm also looking for something reasonably economical as I'm likely to be increasing my millage soon. At the moment my work commute is only 15 minutes, but there's a possibility that I may be moving to a job that's an hour away.
So far I've looked at a Focus, 307, Megane and a Golf.