Impartial advice needed (new receiver)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ChrisDK, Oct 25, 2004.

1. ChrisDK

ChrisDK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm finally getting around to upgrade my system after a few years of stand still. I'm currently running on a Denon AVR1400 (5 X 50 watts, dolby pro logic) so I'd say an upgrade is in order :)

I've been looking at a Denon 2105. I went to a local dealer to give it a listen, and he asked about my front speakers. I told him it'd be running a pair of Dali 8008's. He immediately told me I'd probably be better off with a Denon 2805, which is of course a very nice unit but also a somewhat pricier unit.

The 2105 is around 600€, and the 2805 is around 1050€. And I don't expect prices to drop anytime soon (on either unit).

So I was a bit sceptical when I left. He may be right, but my red light always goes off when they try to sell me something that's almost twice the price of what I came for in the first place :)

So basically my question is... Is the difference between a 2105 and a 2805 really THAT big, especially in terms of running my front speakers!?

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    What are the stats on your front speakers? Wattage, ohms and sensitivity? This might explain why he recommended a bigger amp.

3. ChrisDK

ChrisDK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.dali.dk/Page.asp?MMID=1&MID=3&UMID=8&UUMID=46&PID=112#tech

Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
    Sensitivity: 91 db
    Rec. Amp power: 40-160 watts.

As far as the "bigger amp" goes, that's where I'm confused cause there's only a 10 watt difference from the 2105 to the 2805. But seing I'm not exactly that well informed on these things, there may be something I'm overlooking!? :)

4. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there, you may find that something like a yamaha 2400 bought online from germany would work out cheaper than the 2805 and give you comparable quality.

CaM

5. Mattz292

Mattz292
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, it is difficult to find a manual for the amp. You don't know where to get one, do you? Cheers from a beautiful New Zealand spring.