Impact scratches on my Viera

Roodogg

Standard Member
Reaction score
A comedy moment happened in my lounge today, My mum was dusting and knocked a plate off a high shelf onto a table. It shattered, sending shards of porcelain all over the front of my Viera TH42PX80B. I've had this TV for about three years, I love it but now all I can see is about 6 superficial scratches on the panel. The Tv is fine apart from this.

I just want to know whether it would be worth either claiming on contents insurance, getting a new panel fitted or just living with it.

Suggestions welcome, thanks!:)

All questions only you can answer I suspect! :D

If you can't see the scratches unless your nose is to the screen then you could live with it, or will knowing they are there eat away at you! :devil:

If you are covered on your insurance then you could claim as thats what its for, I always think, why pay so much if you don't intend to use it?! Does your insurance give you full original price or take age into consideration? If the former it could be a good route to a new better set, but premiums could rise a little depending on the companies policy. Replacing the panel is expensive. Don't know if you can just do the glass front or not, someone else may know... Decisions decisions.. :)

Last edited:
All questions only you can answer I suspect! :D

If you can't see the scratches unless your nose is to the screen then you could live with it, or will knowing they are there eat away at you! :devil:

If you are covered on your insurance then you could claim as thats what its for, I always think, why pay so much if you don't intend to use it?! Does your insurance give you full original price or take age into consideration? If the latter it could be a good route to a new better set, but premiums could rise a little depending on the companies policy. Replacing the panel is expensive. Don't know if you can just do the glass front or not, someone else may know... Decisions decisions.. :)

+1 on this.....

Really all depends, as said above, as to whether you notice them, how much of a perfectionist you are (if you're anything like me, just knowing they are there and not seeing them would drive me insane to the point I'd have to do something!!!) and what your home contents cover is like....

Can you post any pictures on here of the scratches?

I have been through a similar scenario myself and the cost to replace the front polycarbonate panel was £421, did it through the contents insurance on my 42PZ85 when it was 9 months old. However my premium jumped by nearly £200 the following year. :mad:

I have been through a similar scenario myself and the cost to replace the front polycarbonate panel was £421, did it through the contents insurance on my 42PZ85 when it was 9 months old. However my premium jumped by nearly £200 the following year. :mad:

Give it a couple of years and you could have paid for it yourself and your premium would have stayed the same. This means you would then be SAVING money.. :devil: Its ridiculous the insurance companies should not penalise so much (if thats what they were doing) for a single claim. It makes a mockery of taking insurance out.

Give it a couple of years and you could have paid for it yourself and your premium would have stayed the same. This means you would then be SAVING money.. :devil: Its ridiculous the insurance companies should not penalise so much (if thats what they were doing) for a single claim. It makes a mockery of taking insurance out.

I claimed for my son's LCD. Would have been cheaper to pay for the replacement myself, such was the increase in premiums.
Never did like Insurance companies.

Home insurance is a scam. I don't bother. Saves me LOADS of dosh per year. Money I can spend on other things (Like replacing a damaged TV ;)). Of course I live in a third floor flat that is not easy to access and is alarmed. The only insurance I pay is car insurance (also a scam but you can't get out of paying) and if I go abroad (Never cheap out on your health).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom