1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMovie

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by emsipops, Jan 6, 2005.

1. emsipops

emsipops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i have recently bought an new imac G5, now for some reason beyond me the mac doesnt recognise my dv cam, it's a samsung and only a couple of years old. Other PCs recognise it and there is nothing wrong with the firewire, etc.
    I went into jessops and they told me that i need some kind of software/patch to install the camcorder onto the computer - she says this is not out of the ordinary for an apple. Which is kinda annoying if i'm honest cos i thought these things were meant to be mega user friendly, and i've had no probs using my digital stills camera.

Ok so if ANYONE can offer any advice you would really be helping me out.
    Cheers
    Emily

2. eforegg

eforegg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm not familiar with any of the samsung camcorders, but I am with apple computers.

Sorry to hear your having problems with your computer. Apple produce a list of compatible camera's on their website as well as a user help forum specifically for queries & tips with iMovie -

http://discussions.info.apple.com/

May be worth posting this topic there. Incidently what you were told in Jessops, thats certainly not been my experience (been using iMovie since version 1 & FCP since ver3)

Good luck

J

3. chukkychukky

chukkychukky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hiya, I have EXACTLY the same probelm with my Sony DCR TRV 22, I have a G5 IMac 17 inch model. Its frustrating since this was the main purpose I got the computer for.

I even lugged my computer to Regent Street to the 'genius bar' last month to try and get it sorted, basically my camcorder works with every other Mac execpt G5's, might be the case with yours. I have an active case going with them but the tech support in Ireland could not care less and keep referring me to this outdated web page with some compatibility listings, they also cheekily told me to try my camcorder with Final Cut Pro!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/camcorders.html

I got a lot of friendly advice and help on this site for the problem

http://www.simplydv.co.uk/simplyBB/viewtopic.php?t=11637&sid=de13702afcc3c7522cdb88bfe8f230fa

Try some of the possible solutions here.

I also started a forum on the apple.com/uk pages about this problem last week but apple tecchies have yet to respond, another user however told me he has the same combination of camcorder and G5 and it works OK for him. My Imovie just won't recognise the camera at all but has recognised another sony model in the past.

The only way Apple have been able to explain this aberrant incompatibility is using the compatibility page listed above but since cameras not listed on there are also compatible and the models listed are a bit on the old side it is pretty meaningless.

Apple will probably refer you to Samsung.
    I hope you have more luck than I have had.

My Mac has been a lot of trouble, its not THAT user friendly. the help function is crap and it didn't even have a proper manual. Ipods do not a good computer company make......but it does look nice!

The fact the apple staff are so disinterested only makes matters worse. BTW, is your G5 noisy? Mine was constantly buzzing/humming, I reported it and they sent me a new power pack, when I replaced it the noise has gone, so don't ignore it if you have it.

:thumbsup:

4. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    My G5 desktop sees my TRV33 OK, using Final Cut Pro though.
    You could try powering up the Mac with the camera attached and on, perhaps that will see it then.

5. chukkychukky

chukkychukky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Duncan, is it an IMac or a PowerMac? The TRV 22 works with every Mac except Imacs and that includes the display models in the Regent Street Apple store.

BTW, the TRV 33 is not listed as compatible on Apple's website

6. chukkychukky

chukkychukky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Duncan, I'm not sure changing software makes a difference since when I check on the device connections via 'About this Mac' the computer acknowledges a firewire device connected to it but won't recognise it as a Sony Camcorder.

7. emsipops

emsipops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, well thanks for all the help - but i have a feeling that it's a bit of a lost cause to be honest.
    I went along to PCworld and they plugged my cam into their apple, and still no connection, have tried all the turning off, reconnecting, different cables stuff aswell.
    Kinda ****** off with this as really did buy the mac for the editing, and by the sounds of it apple aint gonna be much use. *SIGH* cheers for the help guys, if you have any updates on your prob chukky please let me know.
    Tax

8. chukkychukky

chukkychukky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Emsipops, sorry to hear that. I will certainly keep you updated. I am going to call Apple technical support in the US tomorrow as they were referred my case no over a month ago but have yet to hear from them.

I think in the end we will probably have to replace our cameras or our Macs......