• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iMovie - archive project and events?

chrisgeary

I've just finished a pretty big iMovie project. The events folder is some 75GB of those AIC files. I want to archive the project in such a way that I ditch the AIC files but retain the structure of the movie such that I could re-transcode the original AVCHD files, put them where iMovie expects them and my movie project is back. Is that possible and if so, whats the best way to archive my project?

achoudry

I've just finished a pretty big iMovie project. The events folder is some 75GB of those AIC files. I want to archive the project in such a way that I ditch the AIC files but retain the structure of the movie such that I could re-transcode the original AVCHD files, put them where iMovie expects them and my movie project is back. Is that possible and if so, whats the best way to archive my project?

the AIC files are a pain in the backside to say the least as they can eat up hard disk space in no time. what i've most recently done is move my imovie events files over to an external drive from within imovie (i have read many warnings of not moving these files via finder as it can ruin your project). i don't think you can archive your project in such a way that you can delete the imovie events and re-convert your AVCHD files at a later date and have your project automatically pick up what you did previously from your newly created imovie events. even though the events will be the same, you will have lost the references to the events your project uses as the references are actually stored together with the imovie events.

in short, from what i have experienced so far, you need to move your imovie events to an external hard drive to prevent your internal hard drive from filling up. simple deleting your imovie events will mean that your project won't know how you used them even if you re-import your AVCHD files at a later date.

hope that makes sense.

this provides a little more info...

D

Deleted member 27989

That's what I do...I have a Drobo dedicated for that....In iMovie just move the event to the external drive when connected and iMovie does the rest...

Markvw

Chris,
Had exactly the same problem.
I pick up a lacie rugged 1tb.
Really simple plug and play. ( lucky for me )
I load the raw footage in the MB Pro, edit, create the movie and dump the raw stuff into the lacie.
The lacie comes with all the leads you will need, inc. leads for older MB's.
My kids can access the raw footage any time using there older MB's.
Regards Mark......:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom