iMovie and JVC DVS3

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by williamts, May 7, 2002.

1. williamts

williamts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know about using iMovie with the JVC-DVS3 MiniDV-S/VHS combi drive? I got iMovie to control and upload TO the Mac (running OS 9) over the i-Link(Firewire) port, but have so far not been able to SAVE edited movies back to the deck. The manual is useless. Looks like DVS3 is an improvement on the DVS2 (which a Mag said crashed their Mac - in contrast the iMovie controls the DVS3 fine) but at the moment I have only got one-way comms.

2. hjls

hjls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you using the "export to camera" mode in imovie?. i have a mac and was going to buy this deck, what bitrate does it import the dv from the deck in. i am using formac studio pro at the moment and it compresses it down to 3.6mbs, not great quality. does the jvc import uncompressed ?. also can you daisy chain it through to act as a tv card in imovie, ie use the firewire as a loop through on the signal to the jvc, or does it only do dv tapes.

3. hjls

hjls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you could be bothered to reply to the thread you started, i can sort out whatever mac problems you have.

4. williamts

williamts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Partial answers to last posts:

1. I AM using "export to camera" mode in iMovie, and this part of the process is bing carried out in EXACTLY the same way as I do with my SONY camcorder, where the save to DV tape works fine.

2. I do not know how to check what bit rate the JVC deck is supplying to the Mac, but I can say that the quality JVC-> mac is very good - no obvious difference to what the SONY camcorder was supplying. How would I check this?

3. The daisy chain idea is interesting - so far I had just plugged the deck into the Mac in my study, where there is no TV! Large widescreen TV other end of house and heavy monitor in study suggests that this experiment won't be tried soon!

4. JVC very good at dubbing anyway. It is much more convenient to make VHS-S/VHS tapes this way, and will save wear on my SONY. Am finally clearing backlog of projects needing regular VHS output. But it would be nice to be able to save to it from the Mac.

5. JVC have still not bothered to reply to my request for help.

5. hjls

hjls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you got the latest firewire drivers from apple ?, it certainly sounds like the problem is with the jvc deck. however Mays edition of "what video and tv" says in its review "there are no problems capturing raw footage using a pc, or outputting edits back to tape". i would phone jvc's tech department and demand help or kick up a fuss(0870 330 5002)
    to determine the bitrate, import say 1 minute of footage into imovie and see how much disk space it uses, ie 200mb, then divide by 60. an easy way to do this is open your imovie project folder, then open the media folder, then click on clip, and "get info" from toolbar at top of desktop.
    out of interest how much did you pay for it, i have seen it advertised for £750.