iMovie 08 help?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Tenex, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    I recorded a few minutes of camcorder footage today and thought I'd import to 08 to try it out for the first time.

Connected via firewire as usual and nothing works. MacBook doesn't see the camcorder and can't import from it. Its not a cable or camcorder problem AFAIK as I unplugged and plugged into the iMac whereupon it was instantly recognised and iMovie 06 imported it as usual.

Is there something simple I've missed? If this is a defective firewire port it will be MacBook #5 and I'll be getting worried about QC...

spec:
    Canon MV890

iMac - Tiger -06
    MacBook - Leopard - 08.

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,541
    Well if it is not the camera nor the cable as you tested both with the iMac, it must be the firewire port! Are you sure it is enabled and OSX can't see it? Have you tried it with photobooth or ichat and the likes?

3. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    I've got a bad feeling its more widespread. I visited the Apple forums last night and there are a slew of complaints exactly like mine from Canon camcorder owners with varying models.

I'll try the apps you suggested but I've got a bad feeling about this and it now occurs that I could load '06 and try it with that to rule out the firewire port.

ISTR my local Apple store has a Canon miniDV set up as a static camera, or at least it did have before Leopard shipped. I'll try and look in later in the week. Thanks for the suggestions.

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,541
    Would that be good, I mean if it is not the port? Have you done all the iMovie 08 updates! They have improved it so much since its first release just a shame you will only find out when you do a project as they don't shout about it.....I really love it, really the only gripe I have got with it is that the Media Browser share facility does not support a PAL resolution!? Now you have to export and render and import manually which is daft....

5. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Well... I haven't used 08 yet so I'm assuming if I loaded 06 on and managed to import in that I could then open it (with suitable changes??) in 08?

The MacBook is fully patched so I assume anything new is in there.

6. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Testing it I've found it is possible to import from the Canon to iMovie 06 HD on the MacBook and thereafter save and quit and open the project in 08. The process isn't fast as there's a lot of thumbnail generation to be done but at least its a way around the problem.

7. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,541
    So it is just iMovie08 that does not handle it? Really strange how Apple has programmed the firewire import capabilities, one would think they do it once as a common component....

8. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    It is odd. I've noticed another small inconsistency in file renaming.

I was watching a video podcast with David Pogue (he of the 900+ pp "Missing Manual" series) where he made a big thing out of the fact that when renaming in Leopard the suffix wasn't selected. Well when I scan documents and rename from Preview in Tiger the same action happens but not in other apps. So that's another example of different code being used for something you'd imagine was a core component.