1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iMON VFD or Media Center Remote

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by springtide, Oct 12, 2005.

1. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    I've just ordered a case which comes with the iMON VFD remote. There's no option not to have the iMON as it's built in (MCubed HFX)

The HTPC I'm building is to sit under the TV and is going to replace my DVD, CD and Video Players. It will be running Windows Media Center and will be used by my wife on a daily basis.

I've talked to a friend who has the Media Center remote and is very happy with it's "useability" and the fact that "it just works". He also has the MS Media Center keyboard which he is very pleased with.

I've no experience of the iMON product so I'm looking for advice. Should I stick with the iMON or just scrap it and replace it with the Media Center Remote? (I have been thinking about leaving the VFD in for displaying only)

Anyone use iMON or experience of both?

2. Barbarosa

Barbarosa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the iMon remote and it works fine with MC. It works by mapping keystrokes to the buttons, so can be set up with any app. It also has a mouse mode, which works ok, but is a bit fiddely.

I've not tried the MS remote so I can't compare the two, but I'm happy with the iMon one.

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The imon software has a MCE scheme and all works well (don't install the install the Multi Median software)

If you're used to the MCE remote it might feel a bit strange, but if not it's pretty intuative, plus offers some extras like mouse control.

It's nice to have it integrated, and IMHO the only reason to go for MCE remote if you have iMon is if you need the IR Blasters

4. Duggy

Duggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Silverstone case with the iMON display and remote in and up until recently I had given up on it as a pile of pants!

Remote:
    The iMON remote is chunkier and less well designed than the MCE one, with lots of small buttons. You can do slightly more with it, but only with the iMON software, which is horribly buggy. The MCE remote fits the hand better, is more clearly laid out and gets a much higher spouse approval rating ;)

The MCE remote does NOT work with the iMON IR receiver in your case, unfortunately, so you'll have to use the external Microsoft USB IR receiver. I butchered my MS receiver and shoehorned it into the case, which makes things neat and tidy, but wasn't an easy process!

Display:
    I had given up on the iMON display until recently, because the iMON software that drove it was so horrible, inflexible and buggy. However, there is an MCE plugin called Frontview (Google it) whose latest version works with the iMON display without having to have the iMON software installed, and it works beautifully.

In short, if you're going to run MCE, then buy the MS remote and receiver, throw away the iMON remote and use Frontview to drive the display.

Hope that helps,

Duggy.

5. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also remember that the the new Microsoft Remote Keyboard will only work with the MCE Remote receiver so if you want to use this you'll need the USB receiver anyway.

6. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I didn't know that. I'm sure when I got my case (Accent HT400) I read that it was not compatible with MCE.

What do I need to do? Simply hook the imon receiver upto my motherboard and install the drivers but not the Multi Median software. I guess I then need to install the MCE schema? Where would I get that?

7. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hutters I'm in the same boat as you, Accent 400 case and thought that you couldn't get the iMON to control MCE? But the folks are saying differently?

I would like to use the iMON only because the iR receiver is built in behind the front panel rather than the dongle sitting atop the unit, then again I fancy getting the MCE keyboard so maybe Duggy's solution to butcher it into the case is the best one?

8. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The instructions say the IR receiver isn't compatible with the MCE remote control.

The iMon software comes with the MCE schema built in and I find it works very well.

Plug the VFD into a spare USB port on the mobo, install the software (I haven't found a way of just installing iMon and not iMedian, iMedian doesn't interfere with anything anyway so I'm not bothered about it being there).

The MCE scheme is installed as part of the iMon software, just run MCE and it'll all work.

As to the reliability of the iMon software and iMon VFD driver, once you download the latest version I've never ever had a problem with it. The VFD driver is very configurable, can show machine details, user details, local weather, news, email details, graphic equaliser, custom message when not turned on, etc, etc, and it'll switch to graphic equaliser mode when MCE starts playing films/music automatically.

I've got a problem with mine and I've had to sent the VFD display back to SilverStone as it only worked once in a blue moon, unless it was dismantled and hanging out the front of the case, so I haven't had a good chance to see how well the s/w integrates with MCE.

9. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    Thanks. Looks like people have has good and bad experiences with iMON.

I shall give iMON a try and then make a decision whether or not to get a MCE Remote.
    Does anyone know if MCE "complains badly" if there's no keyboard and mouse attached? (With or without iMON).

10. matro

matro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, if I read well, even if some of you feels good with iMON, I must choose the MCE remote because I have to control a Skybox and the only way is through the IR Blaster which comes with MCE remote, is this true?

sad because I'd like to use the iMON which comes with MCubed HFX...

11. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup I'm afraid so. It's possib le for you to hide this in the case though and still use the iMon remote

12. matro

matro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was said that the iMON VFD remote is bundled with the hfx case, however AFAIK it is optional, so if this is confirmed, maybe I could buy another VFD-only along with Microsoft MCE remote?

13. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    Look at Duggys post (12-10-2005, 12:40 PM ) - you can install the iMON but just use it for the VFD (driven by "Frontview").

14. Wonka

Wonka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've just built a HTTP; Silverstone case with VFD & iMON remote.

I'm using a nice power efficient Intel T7400 cpu on the Asus N4l-VMDH motherboard.

This motherboard supports intel ViiV & QuickResume technology. So it can go into an ultra low power consumption off state, but continue to record etc and turn back on in seconds.

Imagine my surprise when I find out that iMon does not support Intel Quick Resume - as told to me by soundgraph the makers !!

I've binned my iMon remote and will get a decent MCE remote / receiver instead. Frontview sounds like the answer for the VFD.

Just thought I'd post to save anyone else make my mistake and buy a silverstone case / vfd / remote thinking it will work for MCE

15. sarpal

sarpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A bit of a sweeping statement :) I have a Silverstone, VFD & remote and it's worked well from day one. Configuring it through the gui wasn't that simple and many of the functions are better sorted using a Harmony remote (prefered option) but it does work and is straight forward for all the normal user requirements. I agree that is isn't the prettiest or most tactile of remotes but hey ho, can't have everything. . . .

16. jacked

jacked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Hey Duggy
    I have just built a HTPC using a Silverstone case with a VFD. I initially dismissed the IMON remote as rubbish and was just going to use the mouse but I soon got used to the remote and find it works ok. But, I have never been able to get the display to work at all, and reading on various forums and sources it sounds like more VFD`s don`t work than do !
    Did you have this when you did your own machine ?
    After your comments I do intend to try the Frontview software, do you think that will finally get the display to work ?
    Thanks.:hiya: