Imminent Panny SD5 Purchase....SDHC and Software Questions

wigwam12

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry!
I have done a bot of a search a got a few answers but some clarification would be appreciated.
Plan to buy the SD5 over the weekend.
Seen a few different classes od SDHC cards: what is the diff between Class 2/4/6? What should I get?

Size wise I read someone say they use 4gb as 1 card = 1dvd [40min or so?!] which seems good logic and 2x4gb costs less than 1x8gb [etc].
Any views on capacity aspect?

Software: if I am going to splash out what would be the most user friendly way to get the footage off the camcorder, edit it simply on my pc if desired and author it to dvd?

My hardware: Panasonic THPX70 42" plasma; xbox media centre; sony vaio fz21z with blu ray writer; core 2 quad pc with 4gb ram.
Any other hardware I need? I understand even "normal" disc written with AVHD need to be played on bluray so my laptop becomes my player I suppose?

Thanks

what is the diff between Class 2/4/6? What should I get?

Speed. You need Class 2 or higher. No real advantage of anything faster than Class 2.

Size wise I read someone say they use 4gb as 1 card = 1dvd [40min or so?!]

Correct - on the SD5, 4 GB holds 40 mins at highest quality setting.

Software: if I am going to splash out what would be the most user friendly way to get the footage off the camcorder, edit it simply on my pc if desired and author it to dvd?

Probably Ulead DVD Movie Factory. It can handle AVCHD, and create both standard def DVD videos, and AVCHD discs.

Speed. You need Class 2 or higher. No real advantage of anything faster than Class 2.

I would just make sure its compatible with the SD5.
I say this as on my HF10 using a class 2 SD i cant record at the highest bit rate setting.

I would just make sure its compatible with the SD5.
I say this as on my HF10 using a class 2 SD i cant record at the highest bit rate setting.

I agree, the card needs to be fast enough to support the camcorder's bitrate. With the SD5 (which uses a lower bitrate than the HF10), Class 2 is enough for all quality modes. The HF10 requires Class 4 to use "FXP mode".

Probably Ulead DVD Movie Factory. It can handle AVCHD, and create both standard def DVD videos, and AVCHD discs.

I'm interested in this part, what blank discs would you use for AVCHD, can you use normal dvd-r or dual layer discs.

Once this HD data is burnt to a disc such as a DVD-R will it still be Hi-Def or can you only view Hi-Def through the camcorder.

If you create a AVCHD "mini DVD" (which can play on a PS3 or some blu-ray players), this will be high def.

If you simply create a data DVD which contains the AVCHD files, that will also be high def, and can be played on a PC.

If you want to create a DVD-video which plays on any ordinary DVD player, then it will need to be standard definition.

If you create a AVCHD "mini DVD" (which can play on a PS3 or some blu-ray players), this will be high def.

If you simply create a data DVD which contains the AVCHD files, that will also be high def, and can be played on a PC.

If you want to create a DVD-video which plays on any ordinary DVD player, then it will need to be standard definition.

Thanks for the heads up Mark, that makes it a lot clearer.

Just went to Currys to physically handle an SD9 and a SD5 they have.
Just how useful/advantageous are:
-Face Detection
-5.1 Sound [vs Stereo]
which the SD9 seems to have but the SD5 lacks???

What about these guided shooting modes? mentioned in the blurb on the Sd9 but not the SD5:confused:

I've not used a camcorder with face detection; so I can comment on how useful it is.

To me, 5.1 audio recording is not very useful. Don't get me wrong, properly mixed 5.1 audio can be great; using multiple mics and sources. But when shooting video, you generally want to audio relating to what you are shooting at, not what is behind you. E.g. if you are shooting at a wedding or a school play, do you want to hear the people sitting behind you, or what the bride/groom/children are saying?

As for "guided shooting modes", do you mean what is called on their web site "Intelligent Shooting Guide", and in the manual is called "Intelligent scene selection"? This is an interesting (but I think not very useful) feature. It applies to playback (not "shooting") on the camcorder only, and what it does is omits parts which it doesn't think you did a good job on (too much camera shake, too dark, not focussed, etc). "For data that are copied to a PC or written to media by selecting motion pictures, or edited with the easy editing function of HD Writer 2.5E, the Intelligent scene selection is disabled"

So unless you plan to use your camcorder itself as your main playback device, and trust the camcorder decide what is good enough to show, I don't think that is essential.

Excellent thanks.
I did indeed mean intelligent shooting guide.
You have banished that little worm of doubt tugging me towards splashing out more than the ÂŁ349 I was intending.:smashin:

Also the Sd5 is slightly bigger than the SD9 and infact it is more comfortable in my hands than the newer smaller offering.

well I just bought it from Amazon. now just sourcing SDHC cards. Just in time for summer kids fun and games

The intelligent shooting guide is not something that will be missed. It's like having you wife built into the camcorder and telling you what to do all the time ! :cool:

The face detection was good, but not worth the pricegap.

I started a new thread asking about HG/HN/HE shooting mode but have another question [will try to keep hardware and direct camcorder questions here in one place now!]:
In the manual it says that the 260 battery needs an optional battery holder [while the supplied 130 does not].
What is this optional battery holder and what purpose does it serve? I cannot track it down

oh forgot to add that the Amazon SD5 includes a Panasonc 4gb class 4 card:thumbsup:

Sorry, I've only just spotted this thread. Just a word of warning for future reference - I have seen some issues posted where some class 2 SDHC cards have not performed well in the SD5. I recommend buying class 4 or better.

I started a new thread asking about HG/HN/HE shooting mode but have another question [will try to keep hardware and direct camcorder questions here in one place now!]:
In the manual it says that the 260 battery needs an optional battery holder [while the supplied 130 does not].
What is this optional battery holder and what purpose does it serve? I cannot track it down

oh forgot to add that the Amazon SD5 includes a Panasonc 4gb class 4 card:thumbsup:
I can't answer your question regarding the holder but I can tell you that the battery (the 130) lasts about 90 minutes, and you get an accurate reading of how many minutes remain so you don't get caught out.

I suggest that you carry two 130 batteries, if only because the 260 is so big it will remove most of the advantage the SD5's small size will confer.

thanks chaps. I was thinking the same thing and a belt battery carrier is somewhat cumbersome IMO.
Stocking up on 130 it is then....

well I finlly got to use it.
Couple of observations:
1) inside in evening light it is either a touch too dark, or if you turn on backlight compensation it is too bright
2) My VW-VBG130 battery will reportedly give me 90mins not the 40 mentioned everywhere???
just got a 2nd one but it it really is 90mins I probably dont need a third.....
3) stil pix are poor - not a camera replacement!

Otherwise it is very easy and comfortable to use.
Need to leanr more about the auto modes to compensate for the low light I guess.
In daylight picture quality was superb

2) My VW-VBG130 battery will reportedly give me 90mins not the 40 mentioned everywhere??

What the battery reports is the length of time if you leave it running continuously (at ideal temperature). In normal use (where you start/stop etc), expect about half of what is reported.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom