Imminent? 2x DVB-T tuner + HDD + DVDR + HDMI/DVI?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jrecampbell, Aug 25, 2004.

1. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again, an avid reader of the forum, but can't currently find if anything with this combination of specs is forthcoming. Reason being that I have a 37" Sharp LCD with a DVI input and the ideal scenario would be to reduce clutter and have just one box making use of that digital input. The box would need:

1. Twin freeview tuners in the unit to watch and record at once (like the Pace Twin or upcoming Humax). (Again I agree with other Forum readers that a DVB-T tuner should be standard now on high-end kit with switch-off on the way.)
    2. Progressive DVD-R (and possibly +R/RAM too) for playback duties and archiving.
    3. Of course an HDMI or DVI output.
    Not too much to ask surely? :rolleyes:

I've seen units that have combinations of these things, but am still amazed that the thing most often missing is the HDMI/DVI output when these are standard on so much US kit. Manufacturers seem to be actively removing these outputs for the European release of these previously US models.

Anyone have any ideas on upcoming models that could combine these requirements? LG and Samsung could well be first, but not a lot of talk of those manufacturers on this forum. Seems like the next gen Sonys won't have this combination either (lacking either twin tuners or a digital output as far as I can see from AV-Land).

Anyone with a crystal ball/ forward schedule out there?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    We will probably see a model like this by the tail end of next year. So far the Toshiba RDXS34 (released in March) looks the most promising: that will have a single DVB, 250GB HDD, DVD-RAM/-RW/-R compatibility, full EPG and HDMI as well as the features we associated with the current RDXS32. Dual tuners models from other producers will follow later...

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    With the analogue switch off being put back to 2012 at the earliest, and 25% of the country still unable to receive digital transmissions, it's not surprising that most equipment hasn't incorporated a digital tuner yet.

4. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only info I see for this machine on the web are quotes on this forum! Very tempting though.

However, are either HDMI or DVI inputs as well as outputs? I think they would need to be inputs to allow HD content to be recorded on these devices in due course as well as regular def. Firewire doesn't have copy protection, but otherwise would be an ideal way to get HD content in. If they don't have HD inputs how futureproofed would such a DVR be?

I guess that would be a separate wait for a Blu-Ray equipped PVR... :rolleyes:

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Info on the machine is very limited at the moment. A brief mention was made of it in August's What Video Magazine and in the press release announcing the cancellation of the RDXS33.

No - what DVI or HDMI source would you input to them? A PC perhaps but not much else! High Def recording will probably be via component input although (I should imagine) it will largely depend on what outputs Sky HD offers. Whatever the RDXS34 is not going to be a high def recorder - you'll need a BluRay or HD-DVD machine for that (several years away for the UK).