1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immersive Asimilator!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paul D, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Hi
    Anybody have any insider info on when this machine will be released?
    I'm interested in the "non" dvd intergrated one. ie just the scaler.

More importantly, anybody have a ball park figure on it's price?

ie

£2-3000
    £3-4000
    £4-forget it:devil:

Noticed on www.convergent-av.co.uk
    That it will have HDMI, DVI, FIREWIRE inputs.
    The firewire bit interests at the moment, as i have been trying to work out a way to get an all digital path from the JVC DTheater(HD) machine etc.

Thanks

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well Gordon might know i guess but Tom strade is shy to give anything too solid on immersiveforum..... cost is in the 'forget it' range I think

ad

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Don't expect it in the immediate future ;) In fact I would still be surprized if it does eventually come to market. There are many other drivers for this small company at the moment. I hope it does, these guys know what they are doing generally but don't expect in 'in the near future'.

All digital JVC Theate? No not unless HDMI does it down the line. All digital hd SAT, look to IEE1394 in to a Sansung and DVI out ;)

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I was going this route:

JVC D-VHS (D-Theatre) ouput via IE1394(Fire wire)

into

Samsung SIR-T165 HD receiver.

This then outputs via DVI.

However, if the Asimilator has IE1394 firewire input, i wouldn't need the Samsung SIR-T165 HD etc.

I would then keep the all digital path.

If it also has HDMI, i could then output 480i/576i from my 868i into the Asimilator also, making use of it's better de-interlacing/scaling.

I understand HDMI/DVI (digital) isn't a guarantee of quality, but as SDI has shown, if done well can really help.(less D/A A/Ds etc)

Is there anything else on the horizon from anybody else?

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The Asim will have an ATSC tuner with Mpeg decoder in it to allow compressed firewire output from suitable STB's or Tape decks to be streamed ot it for decoding, de-interlacing and scaling. This ATSC module will not be available till EASTER (it's a slot in design).

Whether the thing itself is available by easter I do not know (the limitation on the ATSC is a silicon issue I think).

I have seen two of these in the flesh. I am sure it will come to market.

It has HDMI inputs and these are there to accept 480i and 576i from suitable DVDplayers. They are, of course, doing their own HDMI outputting DVD player just for this purpose.

Pricing is unknown at present. I know the speculative $ price but what it is sold to me at will dictate how much we can do it for in UK.

Believe me that when it is working and here I will SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS!

Gordon

oh, don't forget that D-Theatre is encrypted so there will be no analogue outputs if you use the digital path in on aSim. (I guess you'd use your Marantz anyway so you'd be laughing)

6. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Paul,

You also need to bear in mind that your JVC to Samsung to Display with DVI will not work with D-Theatre releases only DVHS recordings.

The JVC will not output on firewire with D-theatre due to the encryption.

Believe me ;)

Hence you need lots of non D-Theatre material ;)

7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Hi Elliot
    Dan Miller from Marantz said this is he's exact setup, and it works with DTheatre pre-recorded tapes.

Mmmm the plot thickens!

The analogue v digital debate in both audio and video, has re-awakened my interest in home cinema!
    I was getting bored with it all, but find myself reading more and more, which cannot be a bad thing!:smashin:

Having said that, with home cinema the more i learn the less i understand!!!:D

8. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Paul Sorry

My mistake, what i was trying to say (but got mixed up, it was late and everything!) was exactly what Gordon said.

I know a guy who goes, JVC to Samsung (Firewire) Samsung to HD Leeza (DVI) and then output on RGBHV. Due to copy protection there is no output from the Leeza when playing back D-Theatre due to the encryption.

What intrigues me is how all the handshaking will pan out, this is why i cannot (at present) connect a Samsung direct to my PC via firewire as the PC does not recognise the Samsung and vice versa so nothing happens :(

However there are some things on the way that should sort this :) but they are work arounds, hence i suspect that an Assimilator or KD Hannah would not recognise a PC firewire input as it is not a know device, i.e. STB or Recorder. Does this make sense ???

9. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Yes Elliot, i do understand!:)

Ie the samsung solution will work, due to the fact that i will be connecting it to my PJ via DVI and not RGBHV etc.

But it may not work if connected to the Asimilator (JVC direct via IE1394) due to it not being a recorder or tuner etc.(how does it know?!)

Is this a IE1394 handshake thing?

or

Does DVI and HDCP have something to do with in respect of it blocking RGBHV output?(from HD leeza etc)

Anyway, i would like to know when/if the work around turns up!:smashin:

Thanks for all the info...!!!

Ps
    Is the HD Leeza coming out with HDMI input(s) any time soon?

10. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    The following solution will work:

D-theatre deck via firewire to Samsung.
    Samsung via DVI to Assimilator.
    Assimilator via DVI to PJ.

I wanted to connect my PC straight to the Samsung but this will not work as the Samsung cannot 'see' the PC. So yes they handshake....

With my D-theatre deck wired to the PC the two talk to each other, plus i can control the tapedeck from the PC using the GUI.

Therefore the assimilator will need to have adequate software built in to recognise D-Theatre decks as well as US STB's.

The reason the digital path with D-theatre into a leeza does not work is that the leeza does not have the necessary decryption for Dtheatre titles (only the tape decks do).

Doubt the Leeza will come out with HDMI connections, not a great deal of point considering that you can buy a DVI to HDMI cable and that the leeza is already HDCP compliant...

Hope this answers them all.... :)

11. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Hi Elliot
    The point with HDMI rather than DVI is due to HDMI supporting interlaced.
    Not much point sending progressive DVI to the leeza apart from it's scaling etc.
    I was hoping to use HDMI 480/576i like SDI, keeping it all digital.

We will see if the Asimilator ever shows it's face. (hope so!):D

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779