Immensely fast and cheap to run

Ok. An exercise for all bored people.

Lets see what options there are, if any. A car that is fast and won't break a budget.

Newish (up to 5yo and 50k miles))
Fast (200+ BHP)
Not too expensive to run (parts, services, etc)
Reliable
comfortable with all the gadgets
5 door
Economical when needed, immensely fast when pushed
Up to £10k

Does such thing even exist? I can't think of anything that will fit that description.

It's called a motorbike. :smashin::D a 600cc bike with 100ish BHP will do 0-60 in around 3-4 seconds, and return 40-50mpg at least. 10k will buy you the latest almost new 1000cc 190bhp bike with more gadgets that you can throw a stick at.

Plus a normal car for when you need to carry more than 1 passenger/more stuff than will fit into a rucksack. :D 10k would be plenty enough to get a very nice bike and a decent diesel runaround.

Hehe a motorbike? Well I don't have a license. It will take me years of riding a scooter to get to larger bikes. I like comfort a bit too much. And I would kill myself on it very quickly, I'm sure.

Other than that, I can see your point. Riding to work and back would save me lots of money just in petrol costs. However, I live in Scotland and 85% of time weather here is crap, so I'd still have to use my car quite often which leads me to the same point again - a better car.

I don't see how I can get what I want with this budget, that means I'd have to compromise somewhere and I don't like compromises. I think I'll give it some more time, try to save more. And then see what the options are.

Is it just a such a tall order to have a car that looks this good, is very fast, reliable and cheap to run?

That's easy enough, it's only the practicality requirement that throws things off.

What about downsizing? A hot hatch version of a very small five door like the Panda 100hp or the Up! GT would probably satisfy most of your requirements. They're a long way from 200 horsepower, but the light weight will help there.

I like the VW CC. Too big for what I need but it certainly does look nice on the road and is fairly popular locally. For your 10k you could get one with the excellent 2.0 tdi 170 bhp engine which is powerful and quite economical. It's the same powerplant that I've got in my Scirocco and it's not missed a beat with 43,300 miles on the clock. Much better looking that the Passat saloon.

On the other hand how about a Honda Civic Type R, damaged though, you'll have to pick up the front bumper from the hedge about a mile or so from my house. Just how do you manage to chuck a Type R off the road in a 30 zone is beyond me.

I think I'm just wasting everybody's time here. I don't think the car I'm looking for exists within this budget. Time to suck it up and save more money and think about it again in some time.

I don't think it is a good idea changing a 2009 car for 2009 car which is just a bit faster, but other than that very similar to what I have now. If changing, I'd love to get more premium car than what I have now.

Is it just a such a tall order to have a car that looks this good, is very fast, reliable and cheap to run?

(pic shamelessly stolen from another thread on AVF)
photo-jpg.466086

Is this Audi A5 or A7?
A5

That's easy enough, it's only the practicality requirement that throws things off.

What about downsizing? A hot hatch version of a very small five door like the Panda 100hp or the Up! GT would probably satisfy most of your requirements. They're a long way from 200 horsepower, but the light weight will help there.

I don't think downsizing is a good idea. I already downsized from 2L Mondeo to 1.6 Mazda 3. Both size-wise and engine-wise. I don't think I can go any smaller. I'm a fan of big cars. If I could afford to run it, I'd love something like Audi 4.2L A8 Quattro. I don't mind the drug dealer look either ;)

I love the look of that car

Not trying to find a hole, but I'm not sure you can call those cars "cheap to run" and "economical when needed". I do like those Phaeton's however and was looking at them before.

Again, sorry if I sound picky, but I'm not big fan of those old-look Jags. New Jags however are beautiful. Volvo is OK though, but I think I'd really struggle to get into 30 mpg's.

I think my mind is set for one of those big German saloons, like Epicurus suggested, but I can't really afford running costs at the moment. More OT needed. I'll try come back to those thoughts again in 2015.

Alpina D3 touring.
200+bhp and very cheap to run.
No dearer to run than a normal 320D.
Even the massive tyres can be had relatively cheaply (Falkens were £130 each)

Immensely fast and cheap to run don't really go together.

Nissan 350z are, apart from fuel economy, very cheap to run on account of being reliable, and with 280 bhp, fairly fast.

Alpina D3 touring.
200+bhp and very cheap to run.
No dearer to run than a normal 320D.
Even the massive tyres can be had relatively cheaply (Falkens were £130 each)

That's an interesting suggestion. I don't really know much about them (other than Alpina is a BMW tunning company). I'll have a look around for something to read about them. I've not seen many of them around. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen one IRL.

However, my mind and my heart are firmly set on one of those big Audis - A5, A6, A7, A8. Definitely won't be able to afford one this year (some big spendings coming up this year), but maybe next year.

Immensely fast and cheap to run don't really go together.

Nissan 350z are, apart from fuel economy, very cheap to run on account of being reliable, and with 280 bhp, fairly fast.

:D I wish! Not a practical choice for a daily runner when you have a family to lug around as well ;)

Ford S Max 2.5 T? 7 seats. 220 bhp. Engine smooth as silk it just loves to rev. 18 alloys. Privacy glass. Still pulls in 6th gear on motorway.

Ford S Max 2.5 T? 7 seats. 220 bhp. Engine smooth as silk it just loves to rev. 18 alloys. Privacy glass. Still pulls in 6th gear on motorway.

Just looked on Autotrader and didn't find one with that engine. I only have one baby though (hopefully no more ;)) so the rest of the seats would be unused. I do actually like the look of them, as I said I like big cars. A guy at work has one in black, Titanium version, and it's a nice looking car.

As for lugging my family around, I think they'd appreciate and like the "drug dealer" look... with time ;) Especially my mrs' when we'd inconspicuously cruise around our neighbourhood in a 16 feet long tinted windows 20" wheels black 4.2L 320BHP V8 beast looking like a peaceful family just going round for our weekly shopping at Aldi's. A window just open enough to see us smiling at each other talking about how the price of milk is going up and how the weather is lovely outside.

My son in the back in his child seat would be so far away, that'd have to install a custom intercom system, just to tell him to stop smearing the jam from Jammy Dodgers into the leather seats.

Damn, this is such a bad ass car...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...el/a8/make/audi/radius/1500/page/20?logcode=p

Oh boy, how immature am I even so close to 40 hehe :D

PS. For the record, I don't like the black wheels, red calipers on this one.

As for lugging my family around, I think they'd appreciate and like the "drug dealer" look... with time ;) Especially my mrs' when we'd inconspicuously cruise around our neighbourhood in a 16 feet long tinted windows 20" wheels black 4.2L 320BHP V8 beast looking like a peaceful family just going round for our weekly shopping at Aldi's. A window just open enough to see us smiling at each other talking about how the price of milk is going up and how the weather is lovely outside.

My son in the back in his child seat would be so far away, that'd have to install a custom intercom system, just to tell him to stop smearing the jam from Jammy Dodgers into the leather seats.

Damn, this is such a bad ass car...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201404163386849/sort/default/usedcars/postcode/onesearchad/used,nearlynew,new/model/a8/make/audi/radius/1500/page/20?logcode=p

Oh boy, how immature am I even so close to 40 hehe :D

PS. For the record, I don't like the black wheels, red calipers on this one.

BUY IT

I'd second the Alpina D3, have been looking at these myself. Not your run of the mill 3 series but not too in your face either.

I think I'm just wasting everybody's time here. I don't think the car I'm looking for exists within this budget. Time to suck it up and save more money and think about it again in some time.

I don't think it is a good idea changing a 2009 car for 2009 car which is just a bit faster, but other than that very similar to what I have now. If changing, I'd love to get more premium car than what I have now.

(pic shamelessly stolen from another thread on AVF)
photo-jpg.466086

Is this Audi A5 or A7?

A7 and Definitely NOT cheap to run.... SWMBO managed to get less than 8MPG rfom it....

I wish! As much as I love big cars, I just couldn't afford to keep it on the road at the moment. I'll go back to those cars next year. They should be even cheaper then and I should have more cash to play with (hopefully).

Lotus Elise is all 3.

I'd love one as weekend toy. Sadly not anytime soon :(

I'd second the Alpina D3, have been looking at these myself. Not your run of the mill 3 series but not too in your face either.

I'll definitely keep an eye on them.

A7 and Definitely NOT cheap to run.... SWMBO managed to get less than 8MPG rfom it....

I can imagine. I think I gave up on the list I made in the OP. I wanted to see what the options are for this year, but it looks like I'll better wait until the next. Hopefully it will give me more choice.

A bit older then you wanted but still .....

Beast

Wow! I didn't know they come with 6L petrol engine as well! The inside looks a bid tired and a bit 80s to me ;) but boy, I'd love to take that thing for a spin (would probably end up in a ditch somewhere or around a tree).

Also I don't think it's right. £280 for a roadtax? I was paying not that much less for 2L petrol modeo.

Also I don't think it's right. £280 for a roadtax? I was paying not that much less for 2L petrol modeo.

Normally anything above about 255 on emissions would be the highest rate of vehicle tax but cars registered pre 2006 max out at £285

Pre 23rd March 2006 to be exact is the road tax cut off date.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom