iMessage wifi problem

juglandblues

Have sent a few messages that have never been recieved. Figured out its because for instance my girlfriend is out and about and her wifi connects to a hotspot but isnt logged on then my phone shows the message i sent her has been both sent and delivered but she never recieves it. Apart from turning off wifi or sendng messages as texts does anybody know a work around.

thestig230

Does your GF have 3G switched on on her iPhone when she is "Out and about"?

juglandblues

yeah 3G is on, she wouldnt know how to turn it off anyway. Happened in the local wetherspoons pub a few days ago. I sent a couple of texts to her while we were sitting to try and find out if it was that or not.

bransoj

yeah 3G is on, she wouldnt know how to turn it off anyway. Happened in the local wetherspoons pub a few days ago. I sent a couple of texts to her while we were sitting to try and find out if it was that or not.
I suspect the best way around it is to forget the networks such as BT Openzone, The Cloud that she has been using so that it doesnt connect to them automatically. A lot of the ones like that are password free to connect to but then if you go into Safari will redirect to a logon page prior to allowing you to browse through it. As she is out and about it will probably pick one up and connect to it but cant use it until a logon is put in hence it wont work.

juglandblues

Yeah maybe she should just turn wifi off. Although this must be a common problem and one that a lot of people don't realise is happening to them. Not sure if It happens with whatsapp or any other messaging services. Maybe push notifications get affected aswell.

bransoj

If you are connected to a wifi hotspot that requires a login via a page in Safari it will affect everything i would have thought as you have no data connection until you either login, disconnect from the Wifi hotspot in some way or move out of range to your normal phone network data connection or a working wifi connection.

Quite a lot of the tiime you will see folk connect to one then try to use something like the Facebook app etc and get a message that there is no data connection. This is because although it was showing as open it technically wasnt. If i ever connect to one showing as open i will always try to load a page in a browser on my phone first to see what happens and then generally disconnect from it afterwards by choosing forget network so it doesnt automatically connect.

Its a common problem with the old BT Openzone hotspots that O2 customers got free as not all BT Openzone was included. Some were different hotspots relating to BT Broadband users only and didnt come free but because they were all named the same the phone would automatically connect when one was in range if you hadnt done a forget this network on it the last time you used one.

poppitypop

WIFI will always trump a 3G connection if it is enabled. Even if you do not think you are using it. So Bransoj is correct to say that disabling the wifi or choosing the option to forget those networks will resolve it.

I had the same problem recently and found it was BT FON hotspot was butting in. Choose to forget the network and it will not bother you again.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom