1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imerge S2000

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by warrj, May 16, 2003.

1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like my ideal hard disk jukebox is almost here. The Imerge S2000 has an 80 or 160Gb hard disk and will:

store uncompressed audio
    download track info and album covers from the Internet
    output to an offboard DAC
    display/navigate track info on TV
    output to multiple rooms

For my needs, it just needs to a) have a 500Gb hard disk and b) a price drop (1600 squid for the 80Gb version).

Oh, an 802.11b output would be nice to!

Details are here:

http://www.imerge.co.uk/products/improductshtml/ipmain.html

Regards,

Jules.

2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Have you looked into this much more Jules? How does it compare with the Cyruslink you've mentioned in you recent post?

3. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Triggaaar,

The Cyruslink is based on the Imerge. I think the major differences are that the Cyrus has Cyrus DACs and it also seems to be wireless as standard. Oh, it's also 4K instead of around 2. I think that the Cyruslink is being officially launched at the hi fi show at the end of the month. Still. it's all still a bit rich for my blood.

Regards,

Jules.

4. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've still to find an explanation of how these integrated things rip the cd and what error correction techniques they use.

My system is an AudioTron (£240) with optical output to the AV8. No OSD (a bit of a pain) but the interface is excellent.

Then I have a Win2K server with 500Gb of RAID5 to store all the music on (don't really want to have to rip it all again) - hardware cost was about £1200.

On this I can use EAC to rip the CDs to WAV - most go through in about 15 minutes, though some slightly more worse for wear ones have taken up to an hour BUT I'm getting a pretty much perfect copy.

Every night the files list is recalculated and any new WAV files are converted to MP3 (using LAME) to be moved onto my laptop for portable listening.

Currently 50Gb of CDs ripped and growing at about 10CDs a day!

I might get round to equiping a mini-itx machine with a good quality soundcard, but the AudioTron's output quality is very good (on optical, the RCA output isn't) and the convenience of having so many albums available means I listen to far more music than I used to.

5. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Dont Laugh, but I find my Creative Labs Jukebox hooked up to my HiFi gives very good quality audio.