IMDb help please!

Rustychain

I wonder if somebody on here might be able to help me.... A few weeks ago, my wife was struggling with online banking on the Mac (I was out) & she ended up speaking with a bank's IT expert. He suggested she cancel all of the internet browsing history. Brilliant! So of course all of the websites that we visited no longer recognised us & this is where my IMDb problems started....
I needed to login again but I still had my old Sky email address on IMDb and that account inexplicably died about 3 or 4 years ago. As I couldn't remember the password I couldn't access the password reset that IMDb sent to me so I'm snookered. Going through their help pages the only solution appears to be to re-register but I've been on IMDb for perhaps 9 years and have rated more than 3,100 movies & I really don't want to lose all of that history. I still have the history on the app on my phone but I'd really like to be able to use the website on the Mac again.
The only way for me to be able to contact IMDb was to pretend that I had a different problem that DID allow me to email them but they never replied. Can anyone on here help me or is my only option to re-register and rate all the films again? :mad:

Storvay

Distinguished Member
Sorry to hear that, I can imagine your frustration!

Can you not change your email address through account settings? I never log in when using IMDb so I wouldn’t know myself.

Edit: just searched and this page came up. May help?

Rustychain

Thanks! No, that doesn't appear to be an option for me.... :(

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Had you stored the password in a Google account? If so, it should be easy enough to find.

Go into Chrome settings and search for password. You can then bring up your list of stored passwords.

Storvay

Distinguished Member
Had you stored the password in a Google account? If so, it should be easy enough to find.

Go into Chrome settings and search for password. You can then bring up your list of stored passwords.
Good shout.

Have you saved any passwords on Keychain (on your Mac/iPhone)

Rustychain

Thanks for the suggestions! I don't think they help me unfortunately. :(
Using the app on my iPhone (12 mini) if I go into any of the settings (account / email etc) it asks me to login. Using the Mac (12.3.1) / Safari, it asks me to login if I try to do anything like rate a film etc.
I'm 99% sure that I know the password but if I put it in it doesn't say the password is incorrect, it tells me that a password reset is required, possibly as I haven't logged in for years. And of course they send the reset reminder to an email address that I can no longer access (the old Sky one).
I don't have any passwords saved for IMDb for some reason but as I say, I'm almost certain that I know what it was.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I guess you could try and resurrect your Sky account? Have you tried a password reset on it, relying upon a backup email address - or if it's been dead a while, you may be able to simply set up a new one with the same email address??

Rustychain

Well, I owe you two a great THANKS!! :thumbsup: I went onto Sky's UK website & managed to access my old email account that way (fortunately I could remember my old password!), so I've managed to not only login to IMDb but have found emails from friends I'd lost touch with (who I hadn't given updated details to...) & remembered about firms I used to hear from etc etc. Brilliant; thanks to you both for helping me out & just giving me the pointer that I couldn't quite sort out myself.
:thumbsup:

prking

Can I suggest you use a password manager and keep your details up to date (email address etc) This will prevent any future problems and is safer.

Rustychain

Thanks, but the problem wasn't me forgetting the password, it was my Sky email suddenly & inexplicably dying. I spent hours on the phone to Sky trying to resurrect it, to no avail.

prking

The first post literally says that because the cache was cleared you needed a password and couldn’t remember it. A password manager is a much safer way of filling in passwords than relying on browser caches.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom