IMBW's boring kitchen extension :)

imightbewrong

Outstanding Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Thought I might as well whack up a few photos of our kitchen extension.

Caution: probably a bit dull and very little AV involved, other than a couple of cameos :)

This is how we found the kitchen five and a bit years ago when we moved in - with a random pillar. Incidentally, where the pillar is marks the origial end of the house - beyond that is an extension from about 30 years go:

pillarz.jpg

Pillar gone:

nopillar.jpg

Five years later, looks a bit more lived-in (i.e. a mess)

before1i.jpg

before2r.jpg

outsidebefore.jpg

The plan is to:

• Bring the external wall of the kitchen out to make it level with the lounge.
  • Add an extension down the boundary to accomodate a utillity room and small toilet. The boiler will be moved to the utility room.
  • Move all cupboards and kitchen appliances, including sink, to the wall along the boundary.
  • Convert half the garage (seen through the door in the internal picture above) into kitchen, and raise the roof of the garage to the level of the rest of the kitchen (currently it's substantially lower)

So on with the action - the builders arrive! First some foundations dug:

foundationtrench.jpg

and filled:

foundationsfilled.jpg

with cement from a lorry parked on the *road* ;)

cementk.jpg

A sewerage network:

drains.jpg

While the kitchen was out of action, we had temporary dining facilites set up:

tempdining.jpg

Walls grow:

smallwalls.jpg

Concrete floor in:

concrete.jpg

Some external progress - you can see the gap where the 'feature' window will go.

partbuilt.jpg

The garden became a bit of a jungle while priorities were elsewhere:

jungleu.jpg

Kitchen wall being extended into garage - note the new height of the garage to compensate - also one of the new skylights:

wallshift.jpg

The AV-suite was commandeered:

avsuite.jpg

Now the scary stuff - the house goes up on Acros again to knock out the external wall:

stilts.jpg

(again as in it went on Acros when we had the pillar knocked out just in case it was load bearing :))

Last edited:
Skylights and new flat roof:

skylightsabove.jpg

Cool pipe-network from re-located boiler:

pipenetwork.jpg

Sliding door housing into utility room - note the exposed one to the rear. Some kind of feature window to go in opening at the top:

slidingdoors.jpg

At one point we considerd getting a fancy recycled-glass/resin worksurface - we visited the factory:

glassworksurface.jpg

Bit of a leap here - old floor pulled up, walls plasted and painted. You can just see the original small external window of the property - now a shelf. Also on a whim we knocked most of the wall out between the kitchen and lounge/playroom (on right):

barefloor.jpg

The kitchen while we decide what kitchen to actually build. Note the comedy sink:

tempkitchen.jpg

Full length of the galley kitchen (to be) - with toddler to scale:

mainrun.jpg

Last edited:
Final state of exterior - just needs some paint:

outsideend.jpg

Took this just now - the new floor and lights in action, along with the B&Ws mounted in the ceiling, to be hooked up to the sonos network. I'm particularly pleased with the T-shaped RSJ every time I look at it - a cool piece of engineering :cool:

finishedzq.jpg

So that's it so far - that was April to now. We could have been finished quite a while ago but we went into a bit of a stall with the paradox of choice on the kitchen units. In the end we have decided to self build :)eek:) from cut pieces of MFC - more to follow later...

You may now return to your normal browsing :)

Are you sure you have enough electric sockets in the kitchen? It doesn't seem there are many at all.

Other than that, nice. :thumbsup:

Looking great. :thumbsup:

We're going through some stuff at the moment that I've been taking pics of, was debating posting them even though they're nothing to do with AV at all.

Had a loft conversion done which would be a great AV room...sadly it's going to be a room for the kids, and the current kids' room on the ground floor is going to become part of a new kitchen.

Not looking forward to getting the kitchen done but the loft was brilliant - they did it in three days (working three six hour shifts).

Are you sure you have enough electric sockets in the kitchen? It doesn't seem there are many at all.

yeah think so - we've got about 16 sockets, most of which are down the work-surface run.

That is a nice looking kitchen, very clean!

Very nice indeed. You're kitchen looks bigger than our house.

16 :eek: what do you need 16 sockets for??

looks very nice btw :smashin:

coffee machines, hoovers, music systems, kettles, irons, micrwaves, slow cookers, mobile phones, laptops, bread machines - you know - the usual clutter :)

Working on a big extension myself at present, including kitchen, so really interested to see how this comes along.

Had 3 or 4 different kitchen designs done by different people and they vary a lot. It's definitely good to get different people's input on how things could be.

All looking good so far though!! :thumbsup:

Looks very nice mate, hope the rest of it goes as planned! Also glad you explained the little fella in the pic was a toddler, I was afraid that was you wondering around some giants house!! :smashin:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom