IMAX Enhanced - New Certification Standard

xar

Prominent Member
Reaction score
EDIT: I wasn't sure if this was the right forum section as it seems to cover TVs, projectors, speakers, amps etc rather than being specific to one...

Came across this earlier today. Seems to be an IMAX version of THX certification, with reference to both hardware and software bearing the logo if it meets the standards.

Sony, Paramount, and Denon all signed up so far. Not quite sure how this fits in with DV vs HDR10/+ for example, but some of the key extracts below:

Why?
"While the IMAX theatrical experience continues to be the gold standard in blockbuster movie-going, the companies saw an opportunity to improve and create greater consistency in the home entertainment space. There are two challenges that we’re looking to address. First, we’ve all walked onto a showroom floor and been overwhelmed by the sheer volume of products. Other than price, how do consumers objectively know which is best? Second, as content moves downstream from theatrical to home, how do you ensure an optimized viewing experience that remains faithful to the filmmakers’ creative intent?

The goal of IMAX Enhanced is to take the mystery and frustration out of the buying process to make it easier for consumers to identify the highest-end content and consumer electronics products that will bring the most premium entertainment experience to your home.

What?
"IMAX Enhanced is a new licensing and certification home entertainment program. To qualify and carry the IMAX Enhanced logo, the highest-end TVs, projectors, sound bars, and AV receivers must meet stringent performance standards established by IMAX, DTS and Hollywood’s leading colorists in order to create a consistent and higher bar for image and sound performance on premium devices. IMAX digitally re-mastered content for the home environment is created to provide the sharpest 4K HDR images and powerful sound as the filmmaker intended. We are designing an IMAX Mode for the enhanced devices that will be meticulously optimized to play digitally re-mastered content to deliver the best viewing and listening experience on that device."

https://www.imaxenhanced.com

I'll have a closer look later, but like you say, this sounds very similar to THX certification rather than how to have an IMAX movie experience in the home

Last edited:
New Denon X4500 and X6500 announces supporting this along with a new Marantz processor... no mention if X8500 or SR8012 get it via FW upgrade

I hope this withers and dies quickly. The last things the industry needs right now is yet another 'standard'. It just causes (more) consumer confusion and regret when they buy into something which doesn't have wide-spread support because there is already too much market fragmentation with competing standards with the likes of HDR10+ and Technicolor...

By all means create the best production chain possible - but do it to the current standards, and don't try to create new ones. I've read the marketing waffle, and I can't see anything of substance here.

Perhaps if they just said 'Quality Assured by IMAX', I'd be happier about it - it's the 'IMAX Enhanced bit' that is a concerned. What are Denon / Marantz actually going to do in hardware?

Back in the day, when THX was still part of LucasFilm, the idea was to raise quality through training and certification programmes and to make the movie going experience better. The whole industry benefited because everyone had to up their game - also technology improved dramatically, which also helped drive much better quality.

Once LucasFilm sold THX, THX were more interested in the licencing fees they received from the THX Logo programme and the quality side fell away, so much so that THX has practically gone away now (although their calibration training is still good).

Regards,
James.

'IMAX in the home' is a misnomer anyway :).

There's probably literally a handful of people in the country who can actually present IMAX movies correctly in their homes; with it being taller than scope presentations, and with scope presentations being wider than all other formats, and more importantly, with the seating distances being correct for those formats.

But as most people think how they see movies on their 16:9 tvs and in most multiplexes is correct, I can see people thinking they will be getting IMAX at home on their 16:9 tvs. They'll also be the ones who hate black bars and want all movies to fill their screens...

It sounds like nothing more than IMAX creating a direct competition to the THX certification... the only way this could be really interesting is if there is no licensing fees involved and therefore the lack of certification doesnt raise the question of if the product isnt good enough or if simply Arcam (or whoever) hasn't paid the fees.

Back to reality, it will fee charging and so just a question on if they sit themselves above the THX standards or potentially start a race to the bottom with lower standards.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom