IMAX - Dark Knight - worth it?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by kayzee, Feb 5, 2009.

1. kayzee

kayzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hi thinking of taking the girlfriend to see The Dark Knight @ IMAX... neither of us have been before.

We saw it together at a normal cinema, and she has it on DVD, so I'm just wondering is the experience alone worth it? It comes to £27 for two tickets which seems a lot jus seeing is it worth the expense when I could just take her to see a new film and at a sensible price elsewhere lol.

2. Sephiroth0000

Sephiroth0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Personally I would say its worth it:D

3. Coffin

Coffin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,184
    Hmm..

I'd say it's worth it, but try to sit quite central if possible and a bit back. Sounds minor but I was sat closer than I'd have like to of been when I went to see it in London at release.

The IMAX scenes were incredible, I wanted to be able to press 'pause' :)

4. richard_t

richard_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Take a look at my previous post here...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/movi...-dark-knight-then-part-2-a-4.html#post8739345

I love the film, but i thought that watching it on IMAX spoiled it completely.

If you ignore the Wow factor of such a large screen then the framing and composition of the film is totally spoiled by you being unable to focus on anything other than such a small area of the screen.

Given the choice I'd watch it at home on Blu-ray over IMAX every single time.

5. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I agree with sitting at least half way back and as central as possible. The London IMAX picture and sound quality are both fantastic :thumbsup:!!

6. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I was contemplating going to catch it too this week at Imax. Just got the Blu ray today so thinking Imax then a second viewing at home during the next week.

But all the talk of the change in ratio on the Blu-ray etc etc is kind of putting me off a little

7. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I can't comment on the Blu-ray, but the majority of the action scenes were shot with IMAX cameras on 70mm, so what better place to watch it :thumbsup:.

8. Retro Techno

Retro Techno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    It's actually quite well done and you should barely notice it, if at all. A lot of the ratio changes are done during darker scenes, so those widescreen black bars, top and bottom just become part of the movie. The image itself doesn't become distorted. It's not like changing from 4:3 to 16:9 on your tv and seeing the picture stretch. The change is implemented well.

9. J1mbo

J1mbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Go see it in IMAX. Now.

You can always watch it 'normally' later. If you miss the IMAX you'll kick yourself forever.

Just make sure you're central and waaay back. This means either booking a while in adavnce for the premier seats (if they have them) or getting there early enough to snaffle good standard seats. And I mean EARLY. I'm not sure if the screenings now are as busy, but we got there 30 mins in advance and the que was already massive.

Mind you, when I saw it the people who snuck in during the opening sequence just went straight to the empty premier seats and the usher bloke didn't want to disturb people by shifting them...

10. GloryHornet

GloryHornet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I would agree, I didnt even notice when the start of the film which is in IMAX mode changed to normal 16:9 and back into IMAX later on.

If you are looking for it you will notice it, if you are engrossed in the first section of the film (the bank robbery) then it is unlikely you will notice.

11. doylie1984

doylie1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    go see imax, personally try to sit so the screen just fits my field of vision. i remember seeing kung fu panda, speed racer, and dark knight all on imax was dissapointed to see bolt not on imax but looking forward to watchmen and aliens/humans - dreamworks film will be, shame i cant have imax in my house.

£27 wow its that for the batman begins & dark night double bill?

12. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,283
    Might be of interest to some of you...

I saw TDK at London IMAX back in 2008 so am tempted to go for an encore viewing as it was such a memorable experience :cool:

If only they'd do a double feature with, Nolan' most recent masterpiece, Inception so I could see both on same night rather than having to make 2 journeys!

13. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    Yes, but make sure you get yourself seats in the middle 3/4 back and that kind of area. Avoid the sides and lower down otherwise you will be straining up to watch the film and if really unfortunate can have bits of staircase in the way

The HK scene is awesome on imax and it is great news the final film is more imax orientated in mind

14. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,283
    I haven't been to Waterloo IMAX since last summer' refurb so would be a good opportunity for me to try out the new Premium seating!

Good to hear that Nolan is shooting even more IMAX footage for the TDKR :thumbsup: As I remember being awestruck by the IMAX scenes in TDK (much more impressive than any 3D movie I've seen) especially the HK skyline which almost gave me a nosebleed it was so vivid on the big screen :eek:

15. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When TDK, Came out, i saw it 3 Times at the Waterloo Imax (plus 4 times at regular cinema) I'm thinking an Encore too on this amazing Movie at the cinema :D

16. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I saw it at the IMAX twice! It's worth it for the 1st 10 minutes alone! :thumbsup: