1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

imagemax scaler advice needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lhough20, Sep 10, 2004.

1. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considerng buying one and would appreciate your views on a couple of things if its ok?

The new model AVT-3800 here:
    http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/avtoolbox/avt-3800.htm

My TV is a sony rear projection LCD tv (KF42SX300) which has a 15pin PC connector so should be fine with the imagemax. The only thing i'm concerned about is the refresh rates and resolution stated in the scalers specifications. My tv has a maximum resolution of 1024x768 and at this resolution the frequencies are:
    hotizontal 48.3kHz
    vertical 60Hz

The scaler states it converts PAL resolutions from 15KHZ to 31KHZ which appears to be too low for my tv at this resolution. I may be getting all confused about this and talking rubbish i'm not sure. :blush:

the other scaler i was looking at is this one:
    http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/cypress/csc-200rs.htm

This one states the resolutions are all 60KHz!!! :zonked: So now i'm really confused!

Anyway thanks for any advice. Any other comments about the imagemax would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers
    Lee

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    ihough20

The Scancom processor is giving you two output options - both via the HD15 connector (using the supplied adapter cables).

YUV Component video - you have the option of 480P, 576P, 720P and 1080i; these are the signals that are limited to 31.5KHz.

RGBHV - these are the PC compatible signals and it looks like the 1024x768 WXGA signal will be best for you and though it doesn't say so I'm sure its not outputting these signals at 31.5KHz.

You may want to contact the manufacturer to confirm this though.

Best regards

Joe

3. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one of the Imagemax ones on saturday from Keene witha view that if it didn't work i'd send it back. Its connected to the TV with the 15pin connector and set to output XGA 1024x768 at 60Hz.

THe resulting picture is a massive improvement on the original SKY+ picture and the DVD picture from the Denon is improved as well. :D

The Denon is connected via the S-video input and SKY+ by the scart (RGB) which goes through a RGB to Component converter then to the ImageMax.

A picture of the full setup can be found in the members pictures forum.

I'd recommend to anyone who's trying to get a really good picture from SKY+ to get one and try it!

Lee

4. himpressive

himpressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Lee,
    I'm trying to follow your steps re: kf42sx300 and the imagemax scaler. Good thing I found this thread!
    Did you use a normal svideo - svideo cable, or did you have to use an rgb scart - svideo cable to connect your dvd player? I'm trying to work out my costs...

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Lee

Are you Outputting at 60Hz when your Inputting a 50Hz PAL signal - it'll look mighty odd on Sport I would have thought!

Also I'd wager a Lumagen VisionDVI at SRP £800 is a better long term bet than the Imagemax Scaler + YUV converter - the Lumagen has Inputs for Composite, S-Video, YUV, RGB and DVI; so no requirement for an external RGB2YUV converter.

Best regards

Joe

6. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    what i've got now is:
    DVD player connected via component cable
    SKY+ connected via RGB scart to component converter

both of the above are connected to a component switcher (like a scart switcher) and then connected to the Scaler.
    The DVD can be connected to the scaler with a s-video cable and the picture still looks good but component looks better!

why not start off with svideo to improve the picture and then upgrade to component when you're able. SKY+ can also be connected via svideo if needed. although svideo has less lines than component so the scaler can only line double what is supplied with so the better the input the better the output! ( i think!!)

Thanks
    Lee

7. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.
    I've no idea what i'm inputing or outputing!! :zonked:
    I think the imagemax scaler outputs at 60Hz but not sure what SKY+ inputs as etc.
    Soon i may get a Toshiba DVD recorder which has RGB scart inputs and can passthrough via component outputs so i wouldn't need the RGB to component converter. Is this any better??
    Thanks
    Lee

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Lee

Your SKY+ Digibox is outputting 576 Interlaced at 50Hz - your Sony TV looks to only be compatible with 60Hz inputs so your converting 50hz to 60Hz in the ImageMAX; this can often look mighty jerky on Sports footage (or try Bloomberg and see how the ticker tape looks!!!).

Unless your going for really high quality components the less switchers, converters etc you have in your system the better - the Lumagen video processor I suggested does everything you require in one box.

Best regards

Joe

9. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help. will check it out

Lee

10. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

thanks
    I've tried sports and bloomberg channel and everything looks fine! no image problems. THe machine you recommend is a bit pricey for me i think. maybe in the future.
    I thought that the purpose of a scaler was to up-convert images to 60Hz. or am i confused (quite possible). The description of the scaler on their website says this. have a look at www.keene.co.uk and search for imagemax scaler.

thanks
    lee

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Lee

Your Video Processor undertakes Deinterlacing (turning Interlaced Fields to Progressive Frames), Frame Rate Conversion (converting 50Hz signals to 60 Hz signals) and Scaling (turning Standard Definition signals into HD compatible signals) - depending on the Input signal and how you connect/configure the output.

If your using the PC output on the ImageMAX your running all three processes on your Digibox signal - and good news it looks OK with sport; often the conversion from 50Hz to 60Hz introduces a lot of stuttering in horizontal camera movements.

Best regards

Joe

12. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Joe for the replys. do you have any thoughts on component switch boxes?

thanks
    Lee

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Lee

I'm biased as I import them into the UK!

If you require a seamless/lossless YUV or RGB switcher with IR control and Digital Audio switching then look no further than Zektor - see http://www.zektor.com

Any questions please shout.

Joe