1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ImageMax Plus Problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mktjf, Feb 27, 2005.

1. mktjf

mktjf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :lease: Current setup:
    Hitachi 42pd3000 Plasma
    Philips 963a DVD player
    ImageMAX Plus Video Scaler

DVD connected to the ImageMax via component and output to the media box via VGA connector.

My problem is that if I set the scaler to output to XVGA the picture is fine (and all lower resolutions) (plasma set to PC input)

If I set it to output 480p/720p/1080i etc, the picture turns green ?

The DVD player outputs progressive PAL in either 480p or unprocessed modes.

I have tried several different settings without any joy.

I am a newby as far as video scalers/plasmas are concerned.

Can someone please advise if I what I trying to do is possible and if so what the problem might be ? Do I need to connect it up differently to be able to output these modes to my plasma ? :lease:

2. BertM

BertM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like your scaler assumes YPbPr output for 'TV modes' and RGB-HV for 'PC modes'. RGB-HV is what your plasma can handle by the looks of it. When you select a TV output mode, the Y, Pb and Pr signals are present on the R, G and B pins of the VGA connector. Because in YPbPr the complete (monochrome) video signal is present on the Y pin, your monitor displays this as a complete, but green picture. The R and B pins now carry the differential Pb and Pr signals from which, in a component input board, the R, G and B can be calculated by adding and or subtracting these from the Y signal. A standard VGA input expects RGB, so doesn't perform any calculations on the input signal, resulting in your green picture.
    I bet there is a setting in the scaler where you can force the TV-output-modes to RGB instead of YPbPr. If this is not possible, you should ask the manufacturer of the scaler for a solution.

good luck,
    Bert

3. mktjf

mktjf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Bert,

I managed to get it working via the component inputs on the media box, but the picture is not as good as when using RGB through the VGA connector, so I think I'll stick with RGB.