Image Tearing in Games

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by jwhalley, Sep 15, 2007.

1. jwhalley

jwhalley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all,

I was just enquiring how common image tearing was in games.

I just bought myself a new Samsung F86 LCD and whilst i'm loving the high def, the occassional flickering i'm getting from image tearing is starting to drive me crazy. A lot of the time it is non existent, but then on certain games (certain races in motorstorm for example) it can occur every 20-30secs or so.

Is this something all gamers have and just something you have to put up with or is there any way to improve it?

It's probably me just being overly sensitive, but after spending a grand on a new TV i guess i was expecting perfection and not a flaw to be added into the gaming experience (overly harsh i admit).

Cheers

2. Kahled

Kahled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Tearing is a strange thing in games, some people see it and are affected by it far more than others while some will swear it's not there at all.

It really does vary from game to game and some are blissfully free of it while on others it can be a nightmare. Really down to the developers and the graphics programming techniques they use (a trade off between frame rates and detail against issues such as tearing) so no way to say what games will feature it, suck it and see unfortunately and just hope not too distracting.

It can even vary in game as well ... DiRT on the 360 for example has pretty bad tearing on the hill climbing stages but not so much on the others. It's been quite a recurring complaint for 360 games and even new titles for the consoles feature it, Blue Dragon is pretty bad when you rotate the camera. Won't be there in all games but does seem to be a price of this generation of HD consoles, well hopefully until the developers get better at exploiting the hardware.

3. jwhalley

jwhalley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Kahled,

Thanks for the information. Knowing that it is the game side and not something wrong with my ps3/cable/tv etc is reassuring, and thus something i can live with. Though i must say, having being out of the console scene for a while, was a little disappointed that my initial 'wow i can't believe how good this looks' is tarnished by the tearing, but thats just me and i imagine 9/10 would just say get over it :p

Is it possible to reduce the tearing at all through a high quality hdmi cable or are certain sets better than others etc? As i do find i am very sensitive to such issues.

4. Kahled

Kahled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Sorry just don't enough to give you a full answer to that (you're asking on a good forum for people that might know though).

There is certainly quite a difference of opinion as to the merits of a high quality cable versus a manufacturer one but I don't believe when it comes to a digital connection like HDMI it makes any difference.

I do think the settings you use can make a difference between the TV and console. I never saw any tearing at all until I upgraded to the HD TV but then it was quite evident in some games (and yes it is quite a hmm factor when it suddenly is there). Speaking more from the 360 side here but once 1080 modes became enabled then using a 1080i setting for output I am sure it became less of an issue (at that point I was using a 1080 exact scan mode on the TV). I'd certainly recommend playing around with the output/input modes and settings between the TV and console before lashing out on a new cable though and see if that helps.

5. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +544
    It would be interesting to get the perspective on this problem from people who are feeding their PS3 to more than one screen.

I recently bought Heavenly Sword and I am really enjoying it, but I have noticed very bad screen tearing on my panasonic plasma.

Tonight I had the chance to fire the PS3 up with the projector and lo and behold virtually no screen tearing with the same game in the same places which leads me to believe that there must obviously be a difference in either the way the two screens handle whats input or in the hdmi cables.

I haven't got time to try swapping cables over tonight to test that aspect but obviously the screen tearing itself is not totally down to the PS3 and has more to do with the screen that it is outputting to and maybe the cable used.

I also tried it with CM Dirt and that is significantly better on the pj than it is on the plasma in this regard too

6. Garry123

Garry123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I read on another post about tearing in DIRT. So i've been looking for it while playing and have not spotted any. It must be down to what screen your using. I've got my PS3 hooked up to a Sony 42" D3000. :thumbsup:

7. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    God Of War tears on my PS2 on my CRT!

8. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Call of Duty used to tear on my PC. But then I turned off V-sync to improve frame rate...:D

9. jwhalley

jwhalley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What i can't understand is why i get tearing in motorstorm on my Samsung F86, but when i play it on my really cheap 32" CRT i get no tearing. Could the LCD be a 'bad LCD' for tearing?

10. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Hi,

is Motorstorm running in 720p or 1080i? If it is running in 1080i try removing this resolution from your Display Settings to force the game to run in 720p, you shouldn't get any tearing in progressive mode as I would have thought that the game would force V-syn on.

Hope this helps. :)

11. jwhalley

jwhalley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The tv can display 1080p, and in the display settings of the ps3 i have 720p, 1080i and 1080p all ticked. Won't this then output motorstorm at 1080p?

I think i tried disabling all HD modes on the ps3 and i believe image tearing was far less / none. Which again seemed odd to me.

12. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    no Motorstorm can only output 720p and 1080i, I think if you tick 1080i games are played in 1080i rather than 720p.

doesn't your TV report the input resolution?

Just uncheck the tick box for 1080i.

13. SmAShY

SmAShY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I have only noticed tearing in CM Dirt, I have a Panasonic 32LXD70. I have only noticed it on the rally level of the demo and it isnt there in the head to head which makes me believe it is down to the game.

I have an Xbox 360 Elite as well and have not noticed any tearing anywhere, altho I havent played Dirt on it.

Alex

14. jwhalley

jwhalley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    On the back of the Motorstorm box, it says it is 720p. I assumed that the PS3 automatically scales up the image to 1080P or am i wrong on this?

If the playstation doesnt upscale it, did they patch the game so it outputs in 1080i?

Finally (lots of questions). How can you check what signal is coming into the TV?

Thanks for your help.

15. Raitzi

Raitzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    PS3 does not upscale ps3 games. So Tv has to do 720p->1080p. I don't know about the patch, but likely no.(just put it to 720p)
    There is usually info button on remote for checking input signal.

16. russd1978

russd1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Even tho you have a 1080p TV as the game isnt 1080p it might be running at 1080i. I would untick 1080i as interlacing is a horrible horrible thing, that way if its not doing 1080p it will go down to 720p, and thus avoid the ugly interlacing which might cure the tearing.