Image stretches at the sides in games

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by FreiKorps, May 7, 2004.

1. FreiKorps

FreiKorps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having problems with image stretching in games . The image (only in games) stretches at the sides and is quite annoying .It's at its worst in ut2004 . Anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,843
    Do not know what exactly you mean but some times when the screen uses a different resolution the screen can be shunted to the side, or vertical, or sometimes stretched or compressed and will have to be re sized and positioned.
    I updated my card driver the other day and had to do the above on some of the resolutions.

3. FreiKorps

FreiKorps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean change the settings in : properties/settings/advanced/displays/monitor/adjustments :rolleyes:

If you do mean there , if the screen streches at the sides should I increase or decrease the screen size?

Thanks.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,843
    If it is what I think you may be on about, it is in the moniters own settings, which you should be able to alter on the front of it.

5. FreiKorps

FreiKorps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Um I was meaning that the picture stretches at the sides hmm...
    Hard to describe .It isnt like stretched as in the screen is too big its as in when i turn in ut2004 an object gets stretched as it gets towards the side of the screen its very noticable . And also I may be paranoide my cpu temp is at 70C and the whole pc is at 37 C
    Is this to hot?

Thank you.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,843
    With you now, you mean if you had a perfect circle in the middle of the screen if it moved to the side it would become an ellipse. Sorry I do not know the solution but I’m sure someone will.

My cpu is running at 49 degrees but they can run up to around 60 ish, 73 is a bit on the high side but are the sensors right?
    The air flow is not restricted is it i.e. ports blocked (they can get blocked with dust and fluff also all fans running?
    Make suse the power is of if you go in the box.

7. FreiKorps

FreiKorps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently tried to overclock my cpu but I ended up frying my motherboard :oops: , so I sent it away for a new mother board to be installed . Before the new motherboard was installed my processor was running at 1.25 ghz now it is running at 2.08 ghz
    with the new board so it is hotter than it was before .
    My computer tower is in a little sort of wooden coupboard with a door (I leave the door open when it is turned on) , the fans at the back are just facing a plank of wood . Would it be worth cutting holes in the back to let the air flow better? .
    The system gets realy hot when playing games but using it
    normaly its cool.
    The voltage supply is the thing thats heating everything up i think because when i put my hand on the pc the bit where it is is realy hot.

Sorry for the long explanation :rolleyes: .

Thanks for replying. Much appreciated :thumbsup:

8. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi FreiKorps,

Your graphics card problem sounds a bit strange. One thing worth trying would be to re-install the drivers for your graphics card, and re-installing directX. Maybe even a full system wipe and re-install might do the trick. Could you borrow a video card from someone and see if you have the same problem with a different card?

I think that cutting some holes (or one large hole) in the back of the cupboard is certainly worth doing. You may not notice too much of a problem at the moment, but if the weather becomes hotter, to the extent that it did last year, you may have a problem. At least the hot air will have more chance of escaping from the cabinet.

Taking this one step further you could buy a 120mm fan and hook this up either to a 12volt power adapter, or a spare power socket in your pc (you'll need a longer power cable) and mounting this on the back of the cabinet to draw the warm air from the cabinet - probably not really necessary at the moment though.

Tony

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,843
    I had a power supply that I had melt down on, and was down to it getting mucked up, in some computers the power supply is the main exit port for hot air.
    Your really should have free air flow within and outside the computer case.
    The back is also the main place for the input of cool air so having the back up to or near to anything is a bad idea.
    As tonyb says it would be an idea to cut some holes in the back of the plank.
    I have a grill on the front of my case which I have fitted an extra fan blowing into the computer also on the back a slot fan just under the graphic card blowing out.

I’m just wondering if you could under clock your cpu if you cannot get things cool by air flow, any ideas anybody?

10. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be that there isn't a problem here at all. Most FPS's use forced perspective to mimic 180 degrees of vision, kind of like looking through a wide angle lens. Circles will look round when centred on the screen but will stretch towards the edge of the monitor screen as the viewing perspective changes.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,843
    Not being a player of Unreal Tournament and others of that ilk, but wouldn’t things be compressed at the edge of the screen rather than stretched, a bit like some car wing mirrors the last bit compresses the reflection to give you a wilder field of view.

If it is the games fault rather than the computers is there anything in the settings to return to normal view?

12. FreiKorps

FreiKorps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only option i can see is "set field of view" i'll trie change it.
    Also my pc just quite to a blue screen when i was in the middle of playing a game :rtfm: so I just decided to take it out the coupboard and sit it on top of the desk.