1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image size for slideshow on TV

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by cliveg, Jul 25, 2005.

1. cliveg

cliveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I have a question...I am creating a slideshow through Pinnacle Studio 7, and I'm not sure whether to re-size the images to 720x540 before adding to the slideshow, or does Studio re-size by default when "make movie" is selected??

I will eventually burn to DVD for showing on the TV.

The current image size is 2048 x 1536 @ 72 ppi. I am using "DVD Compatible" when I create the slidshow as an MPEG.

I have made slideshows before through Studio, but for the life of me I can't remember what I did with the images in terms of re-sizing!!!... :rolleyes:

Any help would be appreciated... :thumbsup:

CliveG

2. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Its a long time since I used Studio 7, but I remember that the best still image results were achieved by using photos with a resolution of 720 x 576 (ie the PAL DVD-Video resolution).

The resolution you have of 2048 x 1536 can also be used directly in Studio 7 (they have a 4:3 aspect ratio and will therefore avoid black filler bands), but I think the resulting resampling to 720 x 576 by Studio 7 will not be as good as you could do with a bitmap editing program. The quality of the result depends upon the size of the original image, some sizes being better than others. Studio 8, and 9 in particular, are much better.

The resampling outside of Studio 7 is laborious but from my experience worth the effort. Try both ways to see if the effort is worth the improvement in image playback quality on your monitor and TV.

NB: the 720x576 image will appear distorted when viewed on a PC monitor but will be interpreted by Studio as a 4:3 aspect ratio and display correctly on a TV. The 720x576 image is best saved in an uncompressed format - use .TGA or .TIF

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you using photoshop?

I would resize your images to 576hx768w or some direct multiplication thereof, to keep the aspect correct. I would have protrait orientations shots with in a larger landscape frame to the same perspective.

Once you have your image at 576x768 (or the direct multiplication) copy it and paste it into a new document measuring 576x720 (or direct multiplication), then squeeze the image along the horzontal axis until it fits.

Because TV sets use non square pixels this helps to keep the aspects correct, resizing to 720 alone will distort the image slightly on a TV.

If your tv set is widescreen then make your initial document 1024wx576h (or direct multiplication of) then squish this into a 720wx576h document.

JPEG seems to work well enough. At these small sizes lowest compression (highest quality) still only creates wee files.