image retention

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by degs2112, Mar 27, 2006.

1. degs2112

degs2112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please forgive me, another image retention/screen burn post, i have searched and cant find a definative answer,if there is one.
    I'm new to this home cinema/plasma malarky,just about finished my plasma wall ready to hang a panasonic Th37pe50 and just recently noticed that most of the channels my kids watch have images in one or both top corners.
    Are there any guidelines on how long it is ok to watch such a channel before screen burn affects this particular tv.
    any advice appreciated,
    Cheers.

2. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just turn the contrast, which sets the white level, low for the kid's programmes and you should be ok.

3. Dom996

Dom996

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    On a Panasonic, turn the Dynamic Mode off, they all seem to come like this default out of the box, also as suggested drop the contrast and brightness settings, especially from new.

Despite being a fan of the current Pioneers, generally in my experience the Panasonics are very good at not image retaining.

4. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    When I had my new panasonic, I turned dynamic mode off, lowered the brightness and contrast and was careful not to leave a static image on the screen for more than an hour-ish for the first few hundred hours.

Since then I haven't even thought about it and play on the xbox for 4 or 5 hours with no problems at all.:smashin:

5. Dom996

Dom996

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Like I said, Pioneer has the edge in PQ, but you need to be careful of retention at first, but the Pannys seem indestructible.

6. degs2112

degs2112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info folks, most useful.

7. AMW

AMW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no record on this forum of any PE50 ever sustaining image retention. After marathon video game sessions and logos I have seen none. Relax. Set your PE50 to its best picture. This particular plasma does not need run in.

8. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to be perfectly honest, don't rule out a 15 inch portable for kids channels. I have banned kids channels from my pv500. It stops image retention and is better for my fuel bills; the plasma chews through 350w and they would have it on all the time as background noise if I let them.

9. TekHousE

TekHousE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its a great idea..

I relegated my old Sony 28" CRT to the downstairs, KIDS home theater..My daughter got my old Pioneer Home theater system and the tv thus freeing up my panny pv500..:)

10. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    I wouldn't worry too much about the 350w. Your fridge is responsible for around a quarter of your bill.

11. lunddal

lunddal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And plasmas generally use much less than the specs say since it's very dependant on what's shown on screen.

12. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt know that fridges chew up the juice, in my home electric heating is the 800 lb gorilla on the fuel bill, thanks for the tip, small fridge perhaps?

13. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    :eek: If you use electric heating then the fridge seems like a wonderful magical piece of oxygen emitting equipment.:D