Image retention on LCD ??

tiger123

Standard Member
I`ve got a 19" LCD computer monitor and have recently been getting image retention ( burn in). And it hasn`t gone away in 3 weeks.

Any ideas ? Is my screen faulty, but I didn`t think this could happen on an LCD.

Nu Breed

Novice Member
is the 'retention' pink in colour?

Usually this is a electronics issue.

but may have some luck by -

firstly, find & press the 'reset' button. then setup monitor display as usual.
if that doesnt help, proceed with next point at your own risk & discretion

google the web for either
a) service manual
b) service menu (how to access the service menu on your TFT)

the service menu is hidden and usually requires a 'hot key' combination.
once accessed, there may be 'auto scan' settings, contrast, colour settings.
you may be able to tweek a few. but please, proceed with caution & note every setting you alter & do it in increments. (at your own risk)

tiger123

Standard Member
Thanks for the advise.

The retention (screen burn?) is grey-ish ghosted image of part of the GUI of a game I`ve been playing (Medieval2). I t looks a bit like embossed paper or a water mark.

I`ve not played excessive but no more than before and this image has not appeared before.

I thought that LCD`s were immune to this sort of thing.

Anyhow I`ve had the thing for 3-4 weeks and it hasn`t faded.

Any ideas. thanks.

Nu Breed

Novice Member
heres what i know for sure.

traditional CRT 'burn-in' isnt possible on an LCD. CRT screen-burn happens because the phosphors get embedded with the 'light energy' (image) after extended period of time. at bit like photographic paper or your retina when staring at a light source.
LCD's do not have phosphures.

it sounds like you (may) have stuck pixels on a particular colour range.
download this & test your monitor

http://www.geocities.com/tvdarekz/
scroll to bottom of page for Monitor Test (Monitest.exe).

it has loads of features, but real simple point & click tests. great for testing out monitors before purchase & dead pixels.
go through the tests, red, blue, green, greyscale etc & see if the image dissapears on certain colour washes. this may identify if you screen has stuck pixels on a specific colour range, or electronics arent 'refreshing' correctly.

sorry i cannot provide definitive remedy :mad:
let us know how you get on :)

tiger123

Standard Member
Thanks for replies Nu Breed

Tried your suggestions-they didn`t work sadly.:(

Any others? Do yoy think my Dell is faulty-hope not as it`s out of warranty.

Nu Breed

Novice Member
Most likely you've got a electronics fault.
something isnt refreshing correctly. The annoying thing is it will (most likely) be a 25p resister, capacitor or triac etc.

If it was me, i'd have a close look at the pins on your cable. would a break in one of the miniature cables cause this due to lack of signal no reaching the TFT? if you are able to swop the VGA/DVI cable or borrow one, who knows?

it just seems odd the way the pixels have 'stuck' with an image.
tiger123, i'm fresh out of ideas now.

kind regards

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom