• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Image retention happens way too fast here.

Moonwalker2006

Established Member
So i have a Samsung PS50C91 plasma screen. For more than two years now.
I'm a big gamer, so i play plenty of games. However, not for hour straight everyday, not like that at all. The thing is...i get retention WAY too quickly..way too fast. For example..

I'm not playing a game, and the HUD has plenty of things, like it's showing the weapon i'm using, my lifebar, and more. I can't remove these in the game. But after like 5-10 minutes it's already 'burnt into' the screen, sure...if i'll enable a white screen on my plasma now or just a tv channel with no still images..it will go away pretty soon, but is this normal?

I mean...so many games still have these still images for lifebars and ammo and what not, nothing i can do about that. But is it supposed to 'burn in' so soon?

toodeep

Prominent Member
Burnt-in damage is permanent whereas you are suffering normal temporary image retention. Different panels are differently robust, and yours isn't as good as are others in this regard I'm afraid.

Moonwalker2006

Established Member
Burnt-in damage is permanent whereas you are suffering normal temporary image retention. Different panels are differently robust, and yours isn't as good as are others in this regard I'm afraid.

Yeah that's probably the case, i know it's not really burn in, thats why i put it in quote marks, i would be really in big trouble if it was burn in. But i guess it's adviseable to take breaks while gaming and putting the screen on something where there's no still images, right? Simply to even avoid the risk of getting burn-in. Or not nessecarily during breaks..but after playing for a while that i'll just quit and then put the plasma on a channel or anything where there's no still images?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom