Image quality - Panasonic DMREH50 and TUCT41

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by delsutton, Sep 20, 2005.

1. delsutton

delsutton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently purchased a Panasonic DMREH50 DVD/HDD recorder which is great and does everything I wanted it to. I've also got a Panasonic TUCT41 Freeview set top box.

However, when I record a Freeview programme from the STB and play back, the image quality (I've set the recorder to XP) isn't as good as the DVB broadcast. Am I expecting too much or should I be getting as good a playback as the original? It's not bad at all, just not as good (it's a little soft). My thinking is that digital to digital should result in the same quality but I guess there are a lot of compromises along the way.

I'm connecting via SCART and set all optios to what I think are optimal. Anyone have any views/experience?

2. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Not that I know anything about anything, but I'd imagine the reduction in quality is down to you having it set to XP. As far as I'm aware, XP reduces the quality of the recording to allow for more recording time.
    Set your recording format to SP, and see if it makes a difference.

3. delsutton

delsutton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    XP is the highest quality setting, according to the manual.

4. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,967
    You are correct to set it to XP mode for best quality. Have you got a decent scart cable connecting the 2 boxes ? Also make sure that you connect using RGB scart sockets if they are available and change any settings to RGB as necessary.

5. delsutton

delsutton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I've got AV1 set to RGB and AV2 set to RGB/Video. Can't see any weak link in the set up, just wondered if it should look exactly like the DVB broadcast on replay.

6. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I believe it should be indistinguishable.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    When using XP mode the picture quality should be virtually identical to the set-top box output. Ensure you are connected as follows:

Digibox TV Out >>> AV2 on the Panasonic DVDR and then AV1 >>> TV RGB In

Ensure you are using good quality scart cables and that the Digibox is set to output RGB (note that the VCR output of the Digibox will NOT output RGB). Ensure there isn't another device on the Digibox's VCR scart that may be forcing a composite image (i.e. a VCR) - you can verify you are getting an RGB image to the Panasonic DVDR by selecting AV2 to 'RGB' (as opposed to the RGB or Video setting you currently have it set to).

8. delsutton

delsutton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak, that did the trick. It's confusing because the manuals for the DVB and the DVD give two different methods for connecting the two together.