1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image lag on LCD's for gaming/DVD viewing

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by cerebros, Mar 13, 2004.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    HI all,

Wondering if those of you out there with either Philips' 30PF9975 or JVC's LT26C31 can tell me if there's any image lag when playing games or DVD's with fast action?

I'm just about at the end of my tether with a JVC CRT set (32P37) as I just can't seem to get one that doesn't have horizontal lines bending somewhere on screen, which is damned annoying on 2.35:1 films or news programmes...

As a worst case scenario I'm considering ditching the CRT and going LCD if I can find a decent set (would consider plasma if it were more affordable & didn't suffer from screen burn...), and am looking at these two (or JVC's LT32C31 if I can confirm that this is genuine UK set not import - seen it on sale, but there's nothing about it on JVC's website).

Anyway, my needs are a minimum of:
    Component input, 2x RGB SCARTS, plus other SCART's or S-Video input for my VCR.

Got an Xbox so the panel has to be good with games, and also not have any noticeable lag or judder - have seen a Sharp Aquos which I keep hearing is the benchmark and the image just didn't look natural when moving.

Can anyone with either of these panels comment?

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    It is indeed a genuine JVC set. Made at the JVC factory in sunny East Kilbride.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    my philips is great with PGR2. I use a standard interlaced svideo feed and the tvs upscaling is very good - no noticable lag. Bought LCD for safety in gaming (no burn)

Having said that, it might be worth waiting a month or so for the new philips - higher res (1366x768), better contrast, and crucially - 480p and 480i via component.

the current screen doesn't support anything other than 576p via component, but it will take 480p+ via VGA (eg X2VGA for xbox)

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Unfortunately I suspect the new one will also cost a good deal more than £1800... If I were in the situation of being able to wait 6 months for the price to come down I might consider it, but I've been without a big screen set for over a year, and if i can't get an acceptable HV32P37 I'm going to want something I can have ASAP...

btw... thought the 30PF9975 took 1080i over component?

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    yep, think it handles 1080i over component, but thats not a standard xbox output, so didn't mention it.

Unless of course you are running through a scaler?

It certainly wasn't an issue for me - the TVs scaler is very impressive. And like you, I bought on the basis of the cost vs time - it was cheaper because its being replaced soon.

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well I'm keen to keep 1080i compatibility as an option as I may get the opportunity to get Euro1080, and I'll definitely have HD-DVD within the lifetime of the set (that's the main reason, aside from connectivity) that I went for the HV32P37.

I briefly tested the JVC LT26C31 this afternoon and I'm very impressed, but it doesn't seem to overscan the image to compensate for only having a 15:9 screen - I'm also not having much luck so far finding out if you can adjust this via a service menu or not (well actually I can't seem to find out if it has a service menu full stop...).

This is incredibly annoying as I can't live with the problems i've had with 3 HV32P37's, but I also don't want to go without a big screen TV having done without one for over a year until I got the HV32P37

7. tartan_guru

tartan_guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Richard,

Glad to hear that the X2VGA is working for you, but I'm surprised that you haven't tried 1080i from your xbox - it is one of the supported hd modes, but only if the software is written to support it (both XBMP and XBMC do)
    PS you might want to take a look at this HDTV to VGA convertor:-
    http://www.vdigi.com/
    It's getting good reviews at the moment and supports any unit with a component output not just the xbox

Ross

8. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you guys tried hooking up an Xbox or PS2 to your Philips via Component ??.

I have read some horrible reports that this TV wont accept a standard signals via component.

Please tell me that these reports are wrong, as I am about to buy one of these models, and would like to use component.

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    jerky

I have my Xbox connected by svideo (haven't got the X2VGA yet) and its stunning.

The scaler/deinterlacer/pixel plus gubbins do a grand job. I really wouldn't worry about it.