Image flickering but ok in low lamp mode

CoolBreeze2106

I all.

I have a Sony vpl cx61 projector. This was an old work cast off. Has been working great for at least 1 year, how old it actually is I have no idea.

Today on start up and upon playing a film the image had a slight greenish tinge also the image was flickering. I then Turned it off and back on and the green tinge went and the image colour was fine, but still flickering. Lamp hours say 490 but if that's correct I don't know.

So when I turn the lamp from high to low the flickering stops.

Do you think this just a case of a new bulb? Or something else?

Looking around a bulb is approx £150-200. I don't really want to buy a new bulb if flickering will still be there, would rather save up some more pennies and get a 2nd hand projector from here or there.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,Ash.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Sometimes arc lamps can 'burn' more than one point on one of the elements so the arc will move across from one to the other and cause the flicker. Changing the mode can allow it to settle on just one so the flicker goes.

Usually people use eco mode and then switch to high and run it like that for a while and it can cure it when they go back to eco, so perhaps in your case, you can run it in eco for a while and then go back to high and see if it's gone or not.

Gary

CoolBreeze2106

Sometimes arc lamps can 'burn' more than one point on one of the elements so the arc will move across from one to the other and cause the flicker. Changing the mode can allow it to settle on just one so the flicker goes.

Usually people use eco mode and then switch to high and run it like that for a while and it can cure it when they go back to eco, so perhaps in your case, you can run it in eco for a while and then go back to high and see if it's gone or not.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply. So sounds like it is a bulb issue and not anything else sinister.

However when turning on again tonight it is still having this green tinge to the whole image and this is happening in both low and high bulb modes. IS this something that happens when a bulb is on its way out? Or something you can shed any light on?

Really dont want to buy a bulb for it to turn out to be something else as I assume you would not be able to return a bulb.

Hope you can help.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
With LCD a green tinge can be a sign of polariser wear, but if it comes and goes, perhaps you're losing another colour so the image looks green. What kind of connection are you using? It might be losing red or yellow so the image takes on a green tinge perhaps. Is the tinge on the whole image or just at one part?

Gary

CoolBreeze2106

Thanks for your response,

The tinge is the whole image....It is connected via VGA. I have a 12 meter vga cable that goes to a vga hub which has my pc and xbox connected to it and you just press a button depending which one you would like selected.

I have experienced dodgy colours with damaged vga cables before but as the image flickering and this green tinge happened at the same time I haven't yet tested this. I just turned on the projector again to test this before replying and now the tinge has gone! grrrr. (Tinge also went last night after turning it on and off again) Next time the green tinge returns (no doubt next time I go to use it) I will try to eliminate problems with the cables and vga hub.

Unless you are satisfied the cables/hub arent an issue?

Cheers, Ash.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
It could be a cable or hub problem, or it could be the pj itself glitching. The only way to be sure is to try the cable without the hub, and/or a different cable, including one that is shorter, just to see if you can prove where the problem may lie. It's possible that the hub isn't correctly switching - if you switch it from one source to another, does the tinge go? Does the tinge appear when using any source, or one source in particular? Can you get the tinge to go away by switching sources?

It doesn't sound like a polariser problem though because once they go, they don't tend to repair themselves.

Gary

CoolBreeze2106

Gary, just to let you know the tinge has yet to re-appear but if it does I shall try to rule out cables etc. Thanks for your advice though. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom