Image/colour problem with a new 7205

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MikeYorks, Dec 28, 2006.

1. MikeYorks

MikeYorks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all. I've only just discovered this excellent forum so please be gentle with me...
    Firstly, Seasons Greetings to everyone and I trust that you are all enjoying a little of the festive spirit.
    Now .. I have a problem with the image from my 7205 and I was wondering if anyone else has seen something similar. The problem is with shading and colours. Instead of a progressive change of shade or colour, I'm seeing distinct lines where one colour changes to another - almost like setting a PC screen to 16 colour mode.
    I've just changed from an SP5700 projector and never experienced anything like this with that.
    Feed to the projector is currently composite from the Sky box (i know... I know..) and component from the Denon DVD. The same problem is visible with the DVD, but to a lesser extent.
    Any ideas? And thanks in advance.

2. MikeYorks

MikeYorks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No ideas?
    Has anyone even seen this phenomena before? Not sure what to call it.
    I may end up returning the projector to Infocus if noone has any ideas.
    Thanks again.....

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,400
    I assume all your sources are the same ones you were using for the SP5700, and all that has changed is the projector?

It sounds like 'posterisation' or 'colour banding', and it may be a colour wheel timing problem. With some projectors you can adjust it via the service menu, but you need to find the access method for it. Sometimes using noise reduction or other similar processing 'features' can cause it too, so make sure all those things are turned off.

If it's not those then you may need to return it for repair.

Gary

4. MikeYorks

MikeYorks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Colour banding is a good description. I've done a factory reset but it isnt obviouis how to get at any colour wheel timing settings. All noise reduction etc is turned off.
    Any other inspiration now everyone is recovered from the New Year? :)

5. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    I've had this problem. What contrast/brightness settings are you running?

My contrast settings were too high, combined with reduced brightness settings in order to achive decent black levels. This resulted in crushed whites and blacks, whilst stretching the mid tones. It was this stretching that emphsised the colour banding.

One 72mm ND2 (2x neutral density filter) later, problem solved! Blacks are black, contrast setting reduced and brightness increased to normal levels.

I was running Brightness=43 and Contrast=58. With the ND2, I'm running brightness=44 and Contrast=50.

A good example was the depth charge sequence in U571 and the fog sequence in Master and Commander. They used to make me whince, now they're as smooth as the proverbial babies arse.

Russell