Image burn from the Sky HD/Sky+ pause button on my LGPC1DA

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by WATTS, Jan 22, 2008.

1. WATTS

WATTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi all,

Well its happend, after carefully limiting using the pause function on the Sky HD remote i have now discovered there is after all image burn on my plasma screen... :eek:
    I have tried whitewash and it is still present...

Its not overly bad but on certain colours you can see it a lot really (think its a lighter blue colour it shows up most on).

Now my question is who is to blame and what can be done?

1. Me for buying Sky HD and paying a subscription service and using those services on my LG TV?

2. Is it Sky's fault for not putting an auto fade function when Sky HD on pause or a facility to have the pause icon fade out say after 3 mins of inactivity?

3. Or is it the fault of LG for the TV not being a bit more durable?

I dont think its unreasonable NOT to expect this sort of thing to happen when a). I paid over £1200 for my plasma tv and b). Ive pay over £100 each month to sky.

I do have coverplan cover for my TV with currys and i have only had the TV for about 7 months.

Anyone got any advice where i stand or what i can do or do i have to put up with it?

Thanks.

2. Tuscan

Tuscan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    No. 1..........lol

3. iPlod

iPlod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    How long has it been since you first noticed the "burn-in"?

The reason I ask is that I had a mammoth Guitar Hero session on my Fuji plasma a year or so ago. I wasn't really watching the time, and the static graphics were well and truly embedded. I tried the screenwash functions, but nothing.
    I was really annoyed with myself, but after a week, it had faded to the point where I couldn't notice it at all.

After that, everything was back to normal, but it did take a good 6 or 7 days (about 5 hours viewing per day) before it cleared.

4. kevmarshall

kevmarshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Probably a question more suited for the Plasma Forum............:thumbsup:

5. daveymck

daveymck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done the same over a year ago now on my pioneer plasma, paused a football match as had to rush out didnt turn the tv off and 45 minutes later came back.

Is still noticiable now at times mainly on green backgrounds for some reason.

I had my sky box contrast on high dont know if that was part of the reason have it on low now, but do think sky should have a screensaver type function on the pause.

Obviously I am totally paranoid about leaving anything on pause with the screen on even for a minute.

6. WATTS

WATTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I first noticed the burn about 3 weeks back now and believe me its here to stay.

I personally believe it is the responsibility of Sky to have some sort of fade off for sky+ when you press pause.
    The xbox360 has it and other devices like DVD/HD players so sky should of thought of this before putting a product onto the market, especially for HD and knowing full well the issues with HD plasma units.

Yes maybe plasmas shouldn't have any burn in issues in the first place but they just do so they knew about the situation and should of put something in place really.
    I have a feeling that in the next update of SkyHD we will see that constant pause icon removed after a set ammount of minutes have gone by.
    Just that update comes too late for me... :thumbsdow

Is it fair for you to have to worry about your viewing habbits thus spoiling your viewing experience? I dont but yet ever since i have owned my plasma i have always been concious of screen burn but obviously its just been a wasted worry for me now anyway... :rolleyes:.

Thanks.

7. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    What you describe could not possibly have happened as all the plasma-fans insist that screen burn is just a myth with today's panels.

8. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Dont know where you got that info from m8 but as a plasma fan i know screen burn DOES exist and would love to know how your comments are helping the problem above?

I personally would try and get it replaced by lg or your coverplan and just see if someone will accept responsibility.

You may have trouble with all parties as they could say that you have obviously left a static image on screen too long!

If you have or not is very hard to prove on both sides.

9. Ultra2man

Ultra2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Well my plasma is over 4 years old now. Whilst I do not tend to overuse the live pause button I do tend to watch a lot of football and movies with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio (ie black bars at the top and bottom).
    Now with football the score indicator is in the same part of the screen constantly. This also happens to be the section of the screen that is the black bar when viewing the widescreen movies.
    Just occasionally I will get a hint of image retention which soon dissapears but no sign of screen burn whatsoever. If the plasma was going to suffer then I would have expexted to see something in the area where the score is displayed by now.
    I can only think that the plasma in question may not have been set up correctly initially and has been used with the out of the box settings (do correct me if I am wrong in this case).
    High contrast and brightness settings which are incorrect will make a plasma susceptible to screenburn.

Bearing in mind that the football score is there for a minimium of 45 minutes and 0-0 can be displayed for quite a large portion of that if screenburn is going to persit I would have expected to see it by now. You must be using the live pause for an unusually long time for it to cause that effect.

10. testcard

testcard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I thought modern plasma panels have a screensaver that kicks in if the set detects a static image lasting more than a preset time, or am I mistaken?

11. freeman

freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Some have pixel shifting ,others don't my old (less than a year old) Pioneer didn't & ended up with the Sky One HD logo burned into it :mad:

12. mitchec1

mitchec1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    The weird thing is if the 42PC1DA options are set up correctly it will move pixels across when the picture is frozen to avoid image retention.

I've got a 42" version in my bedroom and haven't been able to cause any image retention or burn in. The majority of us don't and it's not being a plasma fan boy either or saying we will not get its the fact we haven't.

It would be nice if the op can take a picture

13. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Screen burn does not happen with the very expensive latest plasmas (Fujitsu xha51 , xha58 and Aviamos) after a run-in period.

Cheaper screens, especially LG will suffer a bit.

However, the design of the Sky+ pause exacerbates the problem.
    Sky+ should have the pause somewhere along a thin horizontal line like TiVo, Windows Media Centre or ReplayTV.
    This means it's usually in a different place each time you press pause.

A well designed DVR like TiVo shifts the image very slightly when not in use or in the menus, and returns to liveTV after an hour of inactivity,so even my 8 year old Fujitsu plasma has no screen burn.

14. CraigO

CraigO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Maybe you'd like James Murdoch to personally come round and turn your TV off so it doesn't happen again? Sorry mate but it isn't Sky's fault, YOU left the paused image on screen, nobody else. If you have any chance of gatting something sorted, try whoever you bought the set from. 1200 quid for a screen that suffers burn-in within 6 months could possibly be deemed to have an inherent fault.

15. digigriffin

digigriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    On my panny's the built in screensavers only appears to work when the picture is from the internal tuner and not from an external source?

So maybe it cannot detect a static image from an external source?

16. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +453
    I never leave that useless pause icon on for more than a few seconds.
    I've got into the habit now of pausing then pressing 1 on the remote to flick to BBC1 freeview if I have to leave the room. Just a case of pressing Input 1 then when I sit back down.
    I agree that Sky should time the icon out.

17. Aunty John

Aunty John
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Seeing as you're asking for advice, I'd personally persue Currys as it is from them you purchased your TV. It may be worth reviewing your consumer rights before talking to them though.

You'd be onto a loss-leader persuing LG directly, as they'll argue that the TV has anti screen burn capability built in (whitewash, pixel shift).

As for Sky, don't even bother if your goal is some form of personal compensation, although making a formal complaint regarding their icon usage may help others in the future.

Personally, I wouldn't write off your plasma screen yet though. After some mega sessions on the Xbox360 I end up with screen burn, and I find that a good hour or two of normal satellite TV (ideally a channel without a logo) usually rectifies this.

Best of luck. ;)

18. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +453
    This is not screen burn, but image retention.
    If the screen is properly burned, no amount of normal TV will shift it, its permanent.
    Reading other threads about this makes me think that the OP has retention, because I reckon you'd have to try really hard to permanently burn a screen these days.

19. Per156GTA

Per156GTA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Interesting post here, as I am considering getting a samsung 50" plasma screen which has pixel shift!

I guess the answer is that screen burn or image retention is still possible, however instead of hitting the pause button, why not hit the record button and then rewind the programme, or watch it later at your own leisure.

I think the idea of a pause is just for brief periods of time - 3 to 5 minutes maybe?

I have two kids who use pause alot, so they will need to be re-educated!!!

Cheers

Per

20. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I have the same TV (42PC1D) and after playing the same game for several hours, I noticed that some the graphics had burned onto the screen. This was 12 months ago, and I felt quiet bad about it because at that time the tv was not that old. However, it may have taken several months but its now gone and you would never know it was there.

What I found helped a lot was putting the TV onto the analogue tuner, and selecting a non tuned white noise channel and leaving it on that for an hour or so helped it disappear.