• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iMac upgrades?

D

Deleted member 92943

RAM, Yes. Video cards i think you'd need to upgrade with apple when ordering if they offer the option.

Don't quote me though

JC Live

Standard Member
RAM, Yes. Video cards i think you'd need to upgrade with apple when ordering if they offer the option.

Don't quote me though

I was unsure about video cards, thinking of getting an iMac off Ebay, so I need to know if you can upgrade the video card...

At least you can upgrade RAM.

Tenex

Distinguished Member
The iMac isn't user upgradeable except for RAM. If its out of warranty and you want to upgrade the HDD then there are a few guides available around the 'net - something I really should get around to doing too. But there's nothing else you can upgrade.

Kieron

Distinguished Member
Changing the HD involves taking the screen out with a sucker:eek:

It actually involves undoing the screws on the sides of the screen (6 or 8) and then lifting the screen up off the base. Support it and there's the HD CD/DVD drives etc.

Prior to this you need to take the outer case off. That's a few screws underneath.

Took me 5 minutes to swap out my HD.

Last edited:

paulg1979

Established Member
Maybe on the white G5 but not the silver intels. Seen a couple of videos

Kieron

Distinguished Member

Kieron

Distinguished Member
I replaced my original burner with this....

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7630A

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom