iMac to Mac Mini Advice

adrianwright

I am contemplating selling my 24" iMac and getting the faster Mac Mini to go through my new 50" Plasma TV.

I have a disc setup to make time machine backups and would like to move all the info from the iMac to the Mac Mini.

Is the acheivable please and how would I go about doing it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pisto_Grih

Distinguished Member
You shouldn't even need the Time Machine back-up. Providing your system is working ok, i.e no major issues, you should be able to migrate your user-space (documents, music, movies, applications, settings) over using Migration Assistant.

CamFire

Distinguished Member
Yep, use Migration Assistant when you install the OS on the MacMini. First, start up your iMac in the Target Disk Mode, connect the iMac to the MacMini with a suitable FireWire cable, and then follow the instructions Migration Assistant gives. Disconnect the FireWire cable when the OS installation on the MacMini is completed and reboot/shutdown the iMac to exit Target Disk Mode.

When all is completed, check that you have the data correctly transferred.

CamFire

Distinguished Member
On second thoughts, if your "disc setup" is an external HDD containing all your TimeMachine backups, then it is easier to just hook the external HDD to the MacMini and then tell Migration Assistant to retrieve the data on the TM backup as you install the OS on the MacMini.

anorax25

I am contemplating selling my 24" iMac and getting the faster Mac Mini to go through my new 50" Plasma TV.
Any help would be appreciated.

When I connected my ( mid 2007 model ) Mac Mini to a 46 inch Sharp, there was no way I could get full screen resolution, despite downloading a program which enabled custom resolution settings. I put it down to the lack of power on the graphics side of the Mac-Mini.

Perhaps things have changed, hope so for your sake.

Good Luck!

Col.

did you press the 1-1 pixel mapping button on the aquos ? i had this problem on my PC until i pressed this button on the remote :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom