iMac/PC build, what one to buy? Advice

Blujelly

Novice Member
Hi All,

I getting a new desktop soon but my dilemma is I don't know whether to stick to PC's which I know well or change over to my first iMac! I'm just wondering if I show the 2 specs if I could get some views and opinions on what would be best or slight upgrades! Would really help me as I'm stuck on which to get.

Apple iMac
21.5-inch: 2.7GHz

• 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
  • 1920 x 1080 resolution
  • 4GB (two 2GB) memory
  • 1TB hard drive1
  • AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB
  • 1 Year Apple Care
  • Price range £1100-£1300 (depending on seller)
PC Spec:

PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£69)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
NORTON ANTI-VIRUS 2012 - 1 Year Licence for 1 PC (£14)
Monitor
IIYAMA E2273HDS 22" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D 1920x1080 (£119)
Keyboard & Mouse
LOGITECH® MK520 WIRELESS KEYBOARD & MOUSE COMBO (£39)
Total price £1,178

Spoonhead

Hi All,

I getting a new desktop soon but my dilemma is I don't know whether to stick to PC's which I know well or change over to my first iMac! I'm just wondering if I show the 2 specs if I could get some views and opinions on what would be best or slight upgrades! Would really help me as I'm stuck on which to get.

Apple iMac
21.5-inch: 2.7GHz

• 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
  • 1920 x 1080 resolution
  • 4GB (two 2GB) memory
  • 1TB hard drive1
  • AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB
  • 1 Year Apple Care
  • Price range £1100-£1300 (depending on seller)
PC Spec:

PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£69)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
NORTON ANTI-VIRUS 2012 - 1 Year Licence for 1 PC (£14)
Monitor
IIYAMA E2273HDS 22" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D 1920x1080 (£119)
Keyboard & Mouse
LOGITECH® MK520 WIRELESS KEYBOARD & MOUSE COMBO (£39)
Total price £1,178

The one thing you don't mention, but is probably more impotant, is what you intend to use the machines for. The iMac is a powerfu machine, but it can't really compete with a gaming PC. Bear in mind also, that the iMac is rumoured to be getting an upgrade very soon, as it's been long overdue.

If you do make the switch, you won't be disappointed, but you have to decide what it's main use will be.

Gazza

Blujelly

Novice Member
Mostly gaming if I'm honest, but going by some others forums people use the same spec iMac for gaming and have no problems with it at all.

I am aware of the possible update and I am holding back to see when it is due for release and the types of upgrades and what not it would be coming with. As I don't want to purchase an iMac now and get stung in a few weeks time by the new ones coming out

Spoonhead

Mostly gaming if I'm honest, but going by some others forums people use the same spec iMac for gaming and have no problems with it at all.

I am aware of the possible update and I am holding back to see when it is due for release and the types of upgrades and what not it would be coming with. As I don't want to purchase an iMac now and get stung in a few weeks time by the new ones coming out

It will play games, but it won't have the choice, unless you install bootcamp, and run windows as well.

Clearly it's not as upgradeable, so if you want to game on it, I'd definately wait until the next refresh, as at least the graphics option will be better. I'd try and add some more memory as well, but that can be dome after you bought it.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
If you want a machine purely for gaming, why buy an iMac? iMac's are fabulous machines and for performing a lot of tasks are superior to windows PC's (due to OS x). But if you have no real need for anything other than games (which you will need to get Bootcamp into windows for anyway) why bother with an iMac?

I could understand it if you do extensive video and photo editing and graphic design and also want to play games. Then an iMac makes sense. But if you JUST want a games machine, you might as well get a PC!

iwb100

Distinguished Member
But if you JUST want a games machine, you might as well get a PS3/Xbox.

There are lots of reasons you might buy a PC as a games machine over a PS3 or Xbox.

Better graphics, some games (albeit very few nowadays) still only on PC, mouse/keyboard control may be preferable to controller for some people, games customisations and tweaks, bonus of internet browsing functionality etc....

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
There are lots of reasons you might buy a PC as a games machine over a PS3 or Xbox.
There may be lots of reasons but price isn't one of them as you could buy an Xbox 360 plus a PS3 & have £700-800 left over compared to buying the PC specified. I suggest that the OP consider buying a games console & an iMac.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
There may be lots of reasons but price isn't one of them as you could buy an Xbox 360 plus a PS3 & have £700-800 left over compared to buying the PC specified. I suggest that the OP consider buying a games console & an iMac.

Which is what I have an Xbox 360 and an iMac.

I would always recommend apple computers, except if somebody says they want a machine just for gaming......

Xeneye

Previously MacGeekPaul
Have to agree 100% with the above comments, years ago when I had a PC, I used to 'chase the upgrade' to have a top gaming machine, in the end it was just expense and frustration. Now I'm Mac only, with a PS3 for gaming, and its so much better and easier. I wouldn't even entertain moving back to PC.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom