Question iMac Outlook 2013 emails

Richard

Just upgraded my mac to Catalina. Realised after the install that my office package doesn’t work with the new operating system so can’t now get into my emails.

Is there an easy way of retreiving my inbox and archived emails from the old outlook to a new version? Would be really useful as I have emails I need to keep in the old outlook version.

Richard

It’s me not explaining it very well. I have a sky email address I’d always accessed via outlook.

Wanted to know where on my mac the historic emails and items in my inbox would be stored so I can restore my old inbox and archive folders to a new mail app.

gg13533

If you use the mac mail app, can you not add your sky email as a new account and that should then allow access to all your emails held on the sky server?

Richard

If you use the mac mail app, can you not add your sky email as a new account and that should then allow access to all your emails held on the sky server?
I can use the mac mail app but none of my old emails are there. That's what I'm trying to access. Presume all my old emails are stored somewhere on the mac in outlook somewhere rather than on any server.

Is there any way to find these and import into the mac mail app?

gg13533

Not an expert but if you go into Mail/Add Account, then select Yahoo and then input your sky email address and password. This should then show your In Box and all your mail folders in the sidebar. You're now getting towards the end of my expertise. Hope this helps

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Just upgraded my mac to Catalina. Realised after the install that my office package doesn’t work with the new operating system so can’t now get into my emails.

Is there an easy way of retreiving my inbox and archived emails from the old outlook to a new version? Would be really useful as I have emails I need to keep in the old outlook version.
It sounds like you used Microsoft Outlook with an offline local mail store and grabbed your mail using POP3 and have no copies left on the server. Am I correct so far?

Catalina removed support for old 32-bit applications. One way would be to use a more current version of the Microsoft Outlook application like that you can download as part of Office 365. The other would be to use an Outlook to Mailbox format converter and then use the standard open format as used on the Mac or Linux, you then can import them into Apple macOS Mail for example.

It is a shame that you've already upgraded, otherwise the conversion would have been a lot easier :(

the colonel

It is a shame that you've already upgraded, otherwise the conversion would have been a lot easier :(
Is his easiest option just reinstalling the previous operating system from a Time Machine or other backup (assuming he has one)?

Like you say he could then update Outlook/Office to 64-bit or export to Mac Mail before reinstalling Catalina which should save all his e- mails.

Reading on other forums there has been a Mac Mail issue identified where some e-mails have been deleted/ missing after updating to Catalina. Maybe the supplemental update issued today has addressed this.

Myself I would never update so early in the release cycle, especially this version which drops support for all 32-bit applications.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
The easiest option is to install a 64-bit version of the software. Office 2013 is very old. The second easiest would to get a converter and forget about outlook. I’d say reinstalling a previous version of the operating system is a bit drastic.

I would also re-examine the protocol used to access the server. Downloading everything locally leaves you with this problem. Using IMAP and having it on a server synchronised locally is a much better strategy.

With regards to the macOS mail client issue. It is very different as I understand it. I must admit that I haven’t experienced it and I’ve got 17 email addresses in Mail. But again I don’t just download and remove from the server, I have my local mail synchronised. My email dates back to the previous century in there.

the colonel

The easiest option is to install a 64-bit version of the software. Office 2013 is very old. The second easiest would to get a converter and forget about outlook. I’d say reinstalling a previous version of the operating system is a bit drastic.

I would also re-examine the protocol used to access the server. Downloading everything locally leaves you with this problem. Using IMAP and having it on a server synchronised locally is a much better strategy.

With regards to the macOS mail client issue. It is very different as I understand it. I must admit that I haven’t experienced it and I’ve got 17 email addresses in Mail. But again I don’t just download and remove from the server, I have my local mail synchronised. My email dates back to the previous century in there.
I did not realise you could do that. I thought all 32bit/ outdated software had to be updated to 64bit to ensure all settings were saved before you upgraded to Catalina (a little knowledge can be dangerous!).

When I first moved to a mac back in 2010 or 11 Mac Mail was the only program that gave me real issues. For some reason it would not work correctly with two O2 POP mail accounts that I had.

Hopefully the original poster can sort his mails out.