iMac Orr mini

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Ok I was going to go for an iMac but have been looking at the mini recently to try and save a few quid, this is what it's needed for.
1) used as a hub for running my iTunes which is connected to my Apple TVs for music and tv/film watching.
2) to play World of Warcraft and the upcoming Old republic
3) downloading tv via torrents to watch via ATV.
And that is pretty much it, I surf using my iPad, my wife has a MacBook for her OU course.
Now it would be connected via DVI to my Samsung Hd 32 inch TV, it only has 1 HDMI and I use it for my xbox. Although at a pinch I could swap this around with one of my other TVs.
Also I've seen it on Amazon £60 cheaper than Apple which seems great as well, my wifes MacBook seems run WOW ok so this is what has got me in two minds about getting an iMac. Also does the mini come with any software loaded would I be able to use iLife 9 which is on my MacBook?
Any thoughts guys?

Last edited:
The iMac would be better for gaming but for everything else the Mini would be fine. Both will come with iLife '11 if bought new.

Tenex

Novice Member
The main issue there seems to be your TV torrents. The Mini will handle it without issue but if they are avi's or mkv's then they won't play on the current gen tv and on the 1G tv mkv playback is spotty (some will, some won't), avi should be fine if you use the tv flash app to install XBMC or Boxee, but ISTR you can't play back either format from iTunes natively.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
the mini is a good buyf and if you already have an existing monitor or when you intend to get is a good price, than the mini does saves you money compared to an imac but as others have pointed out, if gaming is your thing, than perhaps the imac is worth the investment

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Downloaded tv is not a problem I convert with air video then drag and drop into iTunes a bit long winded but it works well. Gaming wise it would only be these 2 games and tbh I may not even bother in the long run as I use my xbox mostly.

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
the mini is a good buyf and if you already have an existing monitor or when you intend to get is a good price, than the mini does saves you money compared to an imac but as others have pointed out, if gaming is your thing, than perhaps the imac is worth the investment
It also depends on the quality of your existing monitor. The iMac screen is very, very good.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Also saw iMac i3 on the refurb store with a 512mb graphics I really wanted the 1gb but is there much difference apart from the £200 price?

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Also saw iMac i3 on the refurb store with a 512mb graphics I really wanted the 1gb but is there much difference apart from the £200 price?

CamFire

Don't forget that the iMac has a built-in iSight, if you are into Skype/iChat/FaceTime(in the future) for videoconferencing.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom