iMac not as speedy as expected

Astaroth

Well, 3 months on and the i7 iMac is still going well but I must admit that things are not as fast as I would expect.

Now obviously cannot do a true 100% like for like test but have my XP laptop with a duo core and 2 gig ram and the i7 Mac with 4 gig ram. When applying a filter to a very large file using Photoshop CS3 on both machines the laptop is taking circa 10 seconds and the mac about 8. So it is quicker but not the speed difference I had expected.

The one thing I do notice is that there is frequently a lot of hard drive access going on (from the sounds of things) and when this occurs is when the mac really slows down.

Being new to Mac I am not sure if there is a setting wrong somewhere or if I was simply expecting too much or.....

Tenex

Novice Member
Is that so surprising? Its a 20% improvement but obviously its not all that processor intensive? Its a bit like driving a Ferrari and a Fiesta at 30mph around town, the Ferrari will get away from the lights quicker but ultimately won't get to use its full revs ;)

Come to think of it CS3 is 32bit isn't it? So hardly a case of taking full advantage of the i7 architecture?

Astaroth

Is actually CS4 (typo but not sure if it moves it to 64 bit architecture - the laptop is only 32 bit version of XP anyway)

To my knowledge applying filters to photos is CPU intensive as there was a very big step forward between my old single core desktop to the laptop - unfortunately sold it so cannot repeat the test again to cross compare further.

I guess I was expecting too much from having doubled the ram, doubled the number of cores, doubled the number of bits and increased every clock speed involved.

muzzi

ever heard of a chap called Einstein and his theory of relativity? :)

Check out Macworld and there reviews. they will give you an idea of what to expect as a performance boost from a core 2 duo imac and an i7 imac. not quite apple and apples, but it will give you an idea.

20% is still 20%. it's just that 20% of 10 is a lot less than 20% of 1000.

my advice, forget about the numbers and just enjoy the imac. :smashin:

Astaroth

my advice, forget about the numbers and just enjoy the imac. :smashin:
I am enjoying it alot, just was slightly concerned that Open Office runs quicker and smother on a budget netbook than Neo Office does on a top spec mac etc and thought maybe there was a setting wrong or such as the amount of hard drive activity seems high (to a none mac user) and its during HD activity that it starts slowing massively.

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
I am enjoying it alot, just was slightly concerned that Open Office runs quicker and smother on a budget netbook than Neo Office does on a top spec mac etc and thought maybe there was a setting wrong or such as the amount of hard drive activity seems high (to a none mac user) and its during HD activity that it starts slowing massively.
Have you tried creating a new user account with nothing but the basic iLife suite, then just install one piece of software for comparison? Sounds to me like you could have something in the background hogging resources or accessing the HDD all the time.

CamFire

Sounds like Spotlight may be having a go at the HDD? On the top right corner, do you see a slowly "blinking" dot in the middle of the magnifying glass icon?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom