iMac is noise an issue?

chrispycrutch

Established Member
Reaction score
Really considering defecting from the dark side of windows to a nice new 27 inch iMac. One of my main concerns is noise coming from the iMac, I currently own a Sony Vaio VGC-LT2S all in one machine and find the noise levels sometimes frustrating (fan will kick in after a while when multi tasking etc) of course being closer to it than for instance a tower machine I notice the noise a lot more.

So in simple terms what noise levels should I expect with a iMac? Would go into an Apple store but you really cant guage noise levels at all in that type of enviroment.

Many Thanks

When you're really caining it, there is a whoosh of a fan. Nothing like any PC you've ever heard, but audible. Anything other than maxing out the CPU for over 20 minutes though, it's silent, bar the odd quiet HDD ticking noise.

One of the big reasons to get an iMac, of which there are many ;)

When you're really caining it, there is a whoosh of a fan. Nothing like any PC you've ever heard, but audible. Anything other than maxing out the CPU for over 20 minutes though, it's silent, bar the odd quiet HDD ticking noise.

One of the big reasons to get an iMac, of which there are many ;)

Many thanks. I guess it's just taking the leap of faith now, and which to choose a newly released or a refurb. Oh and the fact that I've never used a mac before

(Oh nothing to do with iMacs Kempez, but the boys done well on the promotion.:thumbsup:)

New release came out today :) With Sandybridge, my i7-2600 based system is flying like never seen before, so no doubt the iMacs will :) 160fps in Portal 2 :)

If you're not in a rush then I would seriously consider waiting until the next OS revision Lion is released within the next couple of months to avoid the upgrade cost.

If you're not in a rush then I would seriously consider waiting until the next OS revision Lion is released within the next couple of months to avoid the upgrade cost.

Not in a big rush, how much @ would this cost as an upgrade in the future?

Last upgrade was £26, make up your mind whether you would want to go months without for that?

Many thanks. I guess it's just taking the leap of faith now, and which to choose a newly released or a refurb. Oh and the fact that I've never used a mac before

(Oh nothing to do with iMacs Kempez, but the boys done well on the promotion.:thumbsup:)

No probs :)

Mine's refurb, but you might want to wait for the refresh to filter through to the refurb store before buying?

And yeah, boys done very good! Am well chuffed!!

I had to take the very same leap of faith about a month ago. I went for a 27" iMac with the quad core i7 processor from the refurb store. Saved about £300 on the price of a new one. Of course the new ones came out today but I wouldn't have been able to afford the new i7 model. I could have afforded the new i5 model so hope that one isn't too much quicker than my 2010 i7 model. I'm not technical enough to understand processor speeds :). New graphics card is quicker but you don't buy an iMac to play games on it. Though I do and they look great. I've never seen MS Flight Sim X look so good :)

Anyway on the subject of noise, it's pretty quiet. I can hear the fan on mine now but I am converting 4 high def mkv video files using Handbrake atm. It's so fast. About 30 minutes to convert a 5gb file into mp4 format. That used to take a couple of hours on my quad core windows machine.

Last upgrade was £26, make up your mind whether you would want to go months without for that?

Leopard cost $129 and Snow Leopard upgrade cost $29.

Nobody knows the cost of Lion yet, most hope it will be the same as Snow Leopard but that wasn't a major upgrade to Leopard and supposedly required Leopard to be installed upon (works without but breaks the EULA) where as Lion will be a major revision so could cost nearer the $129 mark.

Leopard cost $129 and Snow Leopard upgrade cost $29.

Nobody knows the cost of Lion yet, most hope it will be the same as Snow Leopard but that wasn't a major upgrade to Leopard and supposedly required Leopard to be installed upon (works without but breaks the EULA) where as Lion will be a major revision so could cost nearer the $129 mark.

No it didn't require Leopard, and it was a super major full rewrite revision ;) And at that price you've been had for Leopard, I paid half that for a retail copy upgrading from Tiger.

No it didn't require Leopard, and it was a super major full rewrite revision ;) And at that price you've been had for Leopard, I paid half that for a retail copy upgrading from Tiger.

I don't think you read what I wrote, I said it did work from Tiger but was against the EULA to do so.

Apple says: Tiger users could upgrade to Snow Leopard for £25 - but mustn't | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Sure it had 64bit support and some speed stability improvements but feature/UI wise was very similar which is what I was meaning apologies if that wasn't clear. Where as Lion is a major revision with lot's of new features.

Finally quoted prices were RRP, what you paid is irrelevent as it's like me telling you I got Windows 7 free from my employer so anyone who paid for it is a mug.

A EULA is not legally binding when challenged, but that is besides the point. I've got a full retail copy of Snow Leopard here in front of me and the nowhere in the requirements does it state you need to have Leopard. It states you need an Intel Mac that's it.

What I paid is relevant when I bought it from the Apple Store ;-) I looked up my receipt in my email before I posted, oh and that is before taking Quidco into account ;-)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom