iMac Factory Reset? But want to keep 2 bits of software, How???

VAMOS DAN

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As a last resort after trying to get a network streamer setup for my home but failing miserablu, i managed to lug my brothers 27'' iMac round to my house and plugged it in to my setup (ie same External HDD and my router)

Setup a share on his iMac, run to my PCH to find the share, selected one of the video_ts folders and......

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so its something on my mac thats stopping it!?!?!?

What do i do next, my iMac is fairly new, 3 months old, and theres only 2 pieces of software i dont want to lose that iv paid for (MTR 4.0 and Ripit) so i wouldnt be too bothered about a factory reset of the whole thing.

Can i do a factory reset??? How do i make sure i dont lose MTR 4.0 and ripit? (i had to use licences to obtain them)

I'm a little at a loss what it actually you are trying to do? Is it just a case of connecting your popcorn hour on your network to your mac, or are you trying to connect his popcorn hour across the internet to you mac?

If it is the former, i.e. all on your network and the popcornhour can't see your mac you just have a firewall enabled or not the right network protocol installed so your mac isn't responding to network requests. Make certain you have file sharing enabled and provided access to the required shared folder. Then also, but I haven't checked the specs on the popcornhour, you probably need to enable share files and folders using smb as I doubt it would support the superior afp. Hope that helps you on your way, factory reset is a bit drastic.

I'm a little at a loss what it actually you are trying to do? Is it just a case of connecting your popcorn hour on your network to your mac, or are you trying to connect his popcorn hour across the internet to you mac?

If it is the former, i.e. all on your network and the popcornhour can't see your mac you just have a firewall enabled or not the right network protocol installed so your mac isn't responding to network requests. Make certain you have file sharing enabled and provided access to the required shared folder. Then also, but I haven't checked the specs on the popcornhour, you probably need to enable share files and folders using smb as I doubt it would support the superior afp. Hope that helps you on your way, factory reset is a bit drastic.

Hi, its just on my network, and believe me iv set up all the sharing etc and can get it to play certain files but others it wont, connecting my brothers imac on my netwrok it played everything

so i believe something on my mac is interfering with the sharing aspect, maybe some other software iv downloaded

So i believe , whilst my imac is relatively new and fresh (not lots saved etc) i could just factory reset it somehow so its back to how i first received it

BUT i do no want to lose MTR 4.0 and Ripit (i had licences for these but dont know what i did with them :(

Hmm that just doesn't make any sense as you mac isn't playing anything. The popcornhour is doing the playing, are you sure you play the same files on your brothers machine? You haven't got access rights on those files on your machine have you?

Also if the popcornhour can see the files but can not play them, that is odd as well.

Hmm that just doesn't make any sense as you mac isn't playing anything. The popcornhour is doing the playing, are you sure you play the same files on your brothers machine? You haven't got access rights on those files on your machine have you?

Also if the popcornhour can see the files but can not play them, that is odd as well.

popcorn hour can DEFINITELY see them.

it just will not play them. Like i said i kept the exact same setup (so same files/folders, on the same Externall HDD, on the same network/router) apart from plug his iMac into it instead of mine and it all works perfect

Hmm that just doesn't make any sense

Tell me about it :rolleyes: lol but iv honestly been trying for days and days , its only tonight iv nailed the problem down to my iMac.

I have various software such as RDM and rivet etc so something like this could be causing the problem, thats why i want to wipe it clean but definitely want to keep the MTR 4.0 and Ripit

If it can see them but cannot play them it has to be a rights thing, if you do an apple info on the files it cannot play what rights do the files have?

Example of the folders:

Screenshot2010-11-22at205308.png

I dont see how it can be a rights thing when it plays on his perfect??? surely the same rights would apply on his

I agree it is odd but if it can see it yet doesn't play something is stopping it from reading the actual content of the file. So the rights are in the folder, but what about the file itself?

yep sharing and permissions is read and write for everyone even down to the individual VOB files

I have mtr 4.0 , I need this version :)

Come on guys someone must know how to do a factory reset? I'm really not bothered about losing everything on the mac apart from the original stuff and mtr 4.0 and ripit.

just reinstall the system software

how do i do that????

Can i save MTR 4.0 and ripit to usb stick then drag them back to applications once iv reinstalled?? or would that not work???

Should be some /System/Library files that is written in when you enter in the activation code in the application...but I haven't been there myself.

wish me good luck! haha :thumbsup:

Just done a complete new factory reset and guesss what, the popcorn hour still wont play from my iMac!!!?!?!? :(

Totally at a loss now, could there be some kind of hardware error with my iMac????

Nah it is not your Mac if it can read and see the files and play some but not others it is definitely the files and the pch. Might want to check it in the pch forum if there is such a thing and check its log files to see what the problem is.

Nah it is not your Mac if it can read and see the files and play some but not others it is definitely the files and the pch. Might want to check it in the pch forum if there is such a thing and check its log files to see what the problem is.

The PCH will play the m4v mp4 etc just will not play the video_ts

Why does my brothers iMac, play the same files in question on the same PCH ? its unexplainable :( im going crazy over this now

How can it not be the mac now after doing a full factory reset??

Because the mac isn't doing anything, all it does is share the directory it doesn't play anything. If you are certain it is not file permissions than you've got to look at the pch and its error messages.

Because the mac isn't doing anything, all it does is share the directory it doesn't play anything. If you are certain it is not file permissions than you've got to look at the pch and its error messages.

theres no error message on the popcorn hour, all i get is a black screen then it chucks me back out to the menu

whereas on my bro's the spinning wheel comes up and the movie starts playing :(

Ok iv just found something, my brother saved 1 of his video_ts rips (used same software MTR 4.0) to usb stick to try with my PCH, iv now bunched this folder in with all my rest

Iv just selected this file:

IF i hit the play button, it plays one of the mp4 files (different movie altogether!?) ***!?

IF i hit the enter button, it then opens up showing me the VOB file, if i select this it plays

The two files in question are in the pic attached, my brothers rip is the one titles a simple twist of fate , and it only contains 1 VOB file

my video_ts folder for ''a walk to remember'' contains multiple VOB files

Why the difference?

His PCH plays both

Screenshot2010-11-23at005154.png

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom