iMac connects to network, but won't connect to internet

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by daveb975, May 21, 2019.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Strange one this - I have got a 2017 iMac which won't go online.

I have tried connecting it to my home network by Ethernet, Powerline and Wifi and in each case it connects fine to the network itself (i.e. I can use my NAS and other devices), but will not connect to the internet.

My 2015 MacBook is sitting right next to it and connects just fine, as does my PC, iPad etc.

I have also tried connecting the iMac to a hotspot from my iPhone and it's the same - connects fine, but no internet access.

It's not a problem with Safari as iTunes and Speedtest don't connect either.

A reboot sorts it out for anything unto 5 minutes and then it's dead again.

It must be a software issue, but I just can't work out what. This started on 10.4.4 and is the same on 10.4.5. My MacBook on 10.4.5 is fine.

2. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Well I hope that’s a typo and you’re running the latest macOS Mojave 10.14.5 not 10.4.5?

Sounds like a DNS problem. Have you tried rebooting your main router first that connects you to the internet?

Also if you edit the settings for your ethernet connection and WiFi connection, clear any manual DNS entries you have put in and see if internet access comes back.

Lastly, if still no joy, put in manual DNS entry for GoogleDNS only, 8.8.8.8 and test again.

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Thanks. That was indeed a typo, I’m on 10.14.5!

I have rebooted the main router and the Virgin Media Hub that I use in modem only mode, but to no avail unfortunately.

How do I clear the manual DNS entries, is that just in Network settings?

4. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Open Network Preferences.
    1. Select you connection on the left pane. Then bottom of the right pane click the “Advanced” button.
    2. In the next window, change the tab to “DNS”.
    3. In the left pane are there any DNS servers listed? (Should have a single one, greyed out as DHCP supplied by your router). If there’s any you can select and delete with the “-“ (minus icon), then do that.
    4. Test internet connection is stable.
    If that doesn’t help, go back to the same DNS page and then add “+” 8.8.8.8 (which is Google primary dns server) and test your internet again.

Let us know if that helps or not.

5. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Thanks. I've just done that, but the only DNS server showing is the greyed out one from my router.

The strange thing is even before adding 8.8.8.8 my connection is at least partially working. I am typing this reply in Safari and I have used the Speedtest app which I haven't been able to do for a while.

The only thing that still couldn't connect is iTunes (how I discovered the fault in the first place). That won't download a pending update to my iPhone and also won't populate track names from a CD I am trying to download - the MacBook sitting next to it does both fine!

Adding 8.8.8.8 sorted that out, so thanks very much for your help.

6. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Do you have an ISP supplied router or your own?

Could be the router is supplying a bad dns address. If you can edit them in the router configuration webpage, change them to Google ones.

7. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    It's my own router, a Netgear. There was just 192.168.1.1 in the pane when I went in there.

Strangely, iTunes has failed again now - even though everything else is working it tells me that CD track names cannot be found online, and I can't download updates. Still works fine on my MacBook.

Still, I can work around that for now. I've had the machine two years, so probably time to wipe it and start again from scratch anyway. My MacBook never seems to need that at four years old, but it isn't used every day like the iMac.

8. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Definitely sounds like a DNS issue. So your router will be 192.168.1.1 and it's giving that IP address to any device on your local network (LAN). If you access your router via it's webpage http://192.168.1.1 and login in the settings, you should find a section for it's internet connection details, which is where it connects to your Virgin hub, there should be a section to change the DNS settings, a primary and secondary. Change to Google's:

See this article: How do I set static DNS servers on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Once done, put your MacBook DNS back to normal (remove Google, it won't need it now) and reboot all your network devices to make sure. All your devices should now have 192.168.1.1 as DNS setting again, but now the router is forwarding internet resolution requests to Google DNS online.

Hope that makes sense.

9. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    It does makes sense, I didn't get a chance to update it last night.

The only things that I don't understand are:

1. How the iMac can (now) access the internet from Safari and Speedtest, but not for iTunes

2. How the MacBook can access the internet from all programmes even though I haven't reset the DNS on that one at all.

I don't really NEED to understand that though as long as I can get it working! Thanks again for your help on this.

10. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Thanks. I have just done that. iTunes still can't download anything, but everything else is working now, so I'll put that down to another Apple bug I think!

11. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    ...and after 24 hours, it has completely failed again.

It must be a hardware fault I think, so I'll box it up and get to the Apple Store to see what they say. Annoyingly, it is out of warranty so any repair will be paid-for.

The way I'm feeling about it at the moment, I'll just get rid of it altogether!